Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Do you speak any other languages?

Telynor
Bibliophile

Postby Telynor » Tue September 9th, 2008, 2:24 am

"Divia" wrote:I'll let you iknow if they work ;) Thankfully I am getting mine from a friend since htey are wicked expensive. My mom who is an elem teacher says they are good cause they teach us to learn a differen language like we learned English, with pictures.

We'll see if that theory is true or not. Anyway, I hear you have to devote 1/2 an hour a day to the program in order for it to work.

Which language are you trying? It's good to know about the time commitment, which makes perfect sense.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Postby Divia » Tue September 9th, 2008, 2:34 am

I'm trying to learn Italian.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Volgadon
Compulsive Reader

Postby Volgadon » Tue September 9th, 2008, 1:52 pm

I speak Hebrew and Russian. I know Ukrainian at a basic level.

Volgadon
Compulsive Reader

Postby Volgadon » Tue September 9th, 2008, 2:03 pm

I'll brag a little bit. After a year of speaking Russian, I became fluent enough to enjoy Soviet comedies and laugh out loud when reading the 12 Chairs. I still speak with a slight accent, but people assume I'm either from Odessa, from Poland, or from an Emigre family in France.

Carine
Compulsive Reader
Currently reading: Jonkvrouw - Jean-Claude Van Ryckeghem
Interest in HF: I love history
Favorite HF book: Can't pin that down to only 1 :-)
Preferred HF: Medieval, Tudor and Ancient Egyptian

Postby Carine » Tue September 9th, 2008, 5:51 pm

Well living in Flanders in Belgium, my mothertongue isn't English but Flemish and because Belgium is devided in a Flemish and a French speaking part, I need French for my job.
I also speak a little German, but that's it.

My partner is a Scotsman living in Belgium, so we speak more English at home than Flemish.

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Postby LCW » Tue September 9th, 2008, 6:06 pm

This whole thread got me thinking about being bilingual and I've been feeling really bad that I'm not. I have experience with other languages but at this time I can't speak anything fluently but English!

Soo.....I went for it and bought the entire Rosetta Stone software kit for Italian. I don't currently know anyone who speaks Italian (my ex was from Italy) but it's a beautiful language that I've always wanted to learn. I think it'll be a good thing and will help me remember what I learned in college. Plus I like the way Rosetta Stone works and think it can really help me learn the language. I'm excited!

I suppose living in So. Ca, Spanish would be the best choice to learn but honestly I just don't have a desire to learn that language. Is that weird? It's the most logical choice but I really want to learn Italian instead!
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Postby Divia » Tue September 9th, 2008, 8:29 pm

1lila1
We can limp along and help each other :) Maybe we could pm each other in Italian when my Rosetta Stone comes. :D

It is a shame that Americans dont learn another language. Our teaching system is all messed up. They teach us in 7th and 8th grade when our brain really is no longer willing to learn it. booo.

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Postby LCW » Tue September 9th, 2008, 9:05 pm

Oooh cool!! I didn't know you bought it too! That's great!! Surprisingly I also still have my old college Italian textbook! We can help each other!

I did some looking online though and found another software with a higher level for a lot cheaper. It's by Tell Me More. A weird name but the software gets great reviews. Rosetta Stone had a 6 month money back guarantee so I may buy the other one too and compare then send back the one I don't like! This is so cool! :D
Books to the ceiling,

Books to the sky,

My pile of books is a mile high.

How I love them! How I need them!

I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

whitelady3
Scribbler

Postby whitelady3 » Tue September 9th, 2008, 9:41 pm

I'm portuguese, so that's my native language, but I also speak english, or I wouldn't be here. :) I also understand some french and spanish, specially in written form, but don't ask me to speak or express myself or I would fail miserably.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Postby Divia » Tue September 9th, 2008, 11:51 pm

"1lila1" wrote:Oooh cool!! I didn't know you bought it too! That's great!! Surprisingly I also still have my old college Italian textbook! We can help each other!

I did some looking online though and found another software with a higher level for a lot cheaper. It's by Tell Me More. A weird name but the software gets great reviews. Rosetta Stone had a 6 month money back guarantee so I may buy the other one too and compare then send back the one I don't like! This is so cool! :D

I never heard of the other program. Interesting!

Return to “Chat”