Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Google Ads, Amazon Associates and Donations

Retired Threads
diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Google Ads, Amazon Associates and Donations

Postby diamondlil » Tue September 2nd, 2008, 12:03 pm

When we decided to start this forum, the costs associated with it have been met by the admins. One of the things that we did talk about was not about making a profit because we get so much enjoyment from the forums ourselves, but by the same token we would like the site to pay for itself.

As a result, you may have noticed that Google ads have appeared on the website. Whilst it is probably not the favourite thing to see on the forum, every little bit will help. In due course, the ads will become more targetted to our interests.

Another thing that we are planning to do is to use the Amazon Associates referral program, particularly in relation to the book of the month etc. If you feel so inclined we would be grateful if you can feel free to support the site by purchasing via the referral links when they are up.

Finally, a number of people have mentioned that they would be willing to make a contribution towards the cost of the site. If you wish to do this, we will gladly accept contributions. Any contributions will be confidential. If you want to do so, please PM Boswellbaxter and she will make arrangements with you in relation to this matter.

We hope that these actions won't hinder your enjoyment of the forum, which is the first and foremost consideration of any decisions that we make.
Last edited by diamondlil on Tue September 2nd, 2008, 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

JaneConsumer
Reader

Postby JaneConsumer » Tue September 2nd, 2008, 4:19 pm

Glad to see this. I'll be PM'ing BB.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Tue September 2nd, 2008, 5:06 pm

I figured you joined Adsense but it's sure taking it's time to get you proper ads! I did click on it already, but I wasn't sure if anything was happening with just the PSA's, can you let me know if you earned anything yet?

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Postby boswellbaxter » Tue September 2nd, 2008, 5:18 pm

I have to get a new PIN number from Google (I had one months ago, but I didn't need it at the time) before the "real" ads will show up. That shouldn't take but a few days, hopefully.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Postby Divia » Fri September 5th, 2008, 12:42 am

I'm not a fan of the ads but I understand. Id rather have the forum. :)

I know a site that also uses the Amazon link. And from what I understand if you click on the link and buy anything from Amazon a portion of the sale goes to the website. But I could be wrong. Still, I think that one is a great idea.

Donation will be coming. Let me get my first teacher paycheck under me :)
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favorite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Postby Margaret » Sun September 7th, 2008, 12:42 am

Does it help to click on the public service ads that are up now? I've made a point of clicking on them a few times. I don't mind the ads at all, provided they don't move, flash, or otherwise demand my attention when I'm trying to read a post.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings and over 650 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Postby boswellbaxter » Sun September 7th, 2008, 2:59 pm

"Margaret" wrote:Does it help to click on the public service ads that are up now? I've made a point of clicking on them a few times. I don't mind the ads at all, provided they don't move, flash, or otherwise demand my attention when I'm trying to read a post.

I don't think it helps, but at least it helps the public service! Still waiting for that PIN--after that we should be getting regular ads (which will be well behaved).
Susan Higginbotham

Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Postby Ash » Sun September 7th, 2008, 4:16 pm

I also don't mind ads, as long as they do not disrupt my reading of the post (I remember one pop up on another forum that had bees going over the page and it took forever to find the 'close' button) I certainly prefer ads over dues so go for it. I also appreciate giving us a few other options to help out the site.

BTW have you looked at Cafe Press? Its an online conglomeration of many independent stores and non profit organizations that sell to raise money. Not sure exactly how it works, but I know another forum I'm on (readerville) has used it for years. Also have you considered seeing if you can get an Amazon or Booksense link that will help you raise money for every book sold from that link?

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Sun September 7th, 2008, 5:31 pm

I just saw this over at Dear Author.

"Check out the new and upcoming releases from the Dear Author Amazon store. You don't have to buy anything from the store, but you can use it as a reference. If you do buy something, Dear Author gets a kick back of 6%."

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Postby LCW » Sun September 7th, 2008, 6:09 pm

I'm OK with non-intrusive ads or making a donation. Either way is cool with me!

Is there a way to get a chat room on this forum?
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

Return to “Archives”