Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Released Soon - Michelle Moran's The Heretic Queen

Please read "A Note to Authors" in the Board Rules before posting here.
Forum rules
Please read "A Note to Authors" in the Board Rules before posting here. This is the place for actively participating forum members who are also authors to post news about newly released books, book deals, book tours, blog tours, public appearances, awards, etc. Author members who are active in other areas of the forum, other than in self-promotion, are welcome to post here; those who post only here or who post only self-promotional material on the forum will be considered for deletion as spammers. Please reserve this forum for truly newsworthy items; reviews of your books or notifications of new blog posts you make, for example, are not considered newsworthy for purposes of this forum.
michellemoran
Bibliophile

Postby michellemoran » Thu October 2nd, 2008, 7:24 pm

Oh wow, Elizabeth - I wish!! I can't tell you the number of phone calls I've had with other American authors who can't get their sales numbers or even a print run. I understand why the publishers do it, but it really puts the author at a disadvantage when it comes time to promoting and marketing their own work. I have been very lucky in my editors, who have always provided me with sales numbers when I ask (which I don 't try to do too often). But I know of authors whose emails just go unanswered if they request their figures, or who are told over the phone, "I'll have to get back to you," never to hear anything again.

And the UK's system of smaller hardcover runs makes a lot of sense. The paperbacks are where the real sales are. I don't know why my UK publisher even bothers with hardcovers. Possibly for the reviews?

We need to adopt the open UK system.

PS: thank you everyone for the congratulations!
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Postby EC2 » Thu October 2nd, 2008, 7:36 pm

"Oh wow, Elizabeth - I wish!! I can't tell you the number of phone calls I've had with other American authors who can't get their sales numbers or even a print run. I understand why the publishers do it, but it really puts the author at a disadvantage when it comes time to promoting and marketing their own work. I have been very lucky in my editors, who have always provided me with sales numbers when I ask (which I don 't try to do too often). But I know of authors whose emails just go unanswered if they request their figures, or who are told over the phone, "I'll have to get back to you," never to hear anything again.

And the UK's system of smaller hardcover runs makes a lot of sense. The paperbacks are where the real sales are. I don't know why my UK publisher even bothers with hardcovers. Possibly for the reviews?"

I don't know if everyone is as open in the UK as Sphere, but the figures are out there for everyone to see providing they can add up a few weeks' worth of sales from the trade press. The small UK print runs are based on what goes into libraries, collectors editions and the needs of the keen readers, plus some reader who will only buy in paperback. And perhaps a few Christmas present and birthday copies. Yes, and for reviews. Basically that's it and it doesn't add up to a hill of beans. When I was first published in 1990, Bernard Cornwell had recently brought out a new novel - don't remember its title, but it was top of the hardcover bestseller chart with 2,000 copies sold that week. And since most of the sales are in the first month and everyone else had sold less.......
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Return to “Author Announcements”