Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

September 2008: The Heretic Queen by Michelle Moran

A monthly discussion on varying themes guided by our members. (Book of the Month discussions through December 2011 can be found in this section too.)
Divia
Bibliomaniac

Postby Divia » Sun September 7th, 2008, 3:57 pm

Well we all have different things we like. I mean I'm a huge Victorian nut. I can understand why some people wouldnt want to read about a certain area or topic. Its not there thing. Its understandable.

The book is well written, well both are. If you enjoy good historical fiction I have no doubt you will enjoy these. Plus Michelle puts a lot of detail in her novels so those who aren't fimilar with Egypt can get a good understanding of what is going on.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Postby Ash » Sun September 7th, 2008, 4:12 pm

"Divia" wrote:The book is well written, well both are. If you enjoy good historical fiction I have no doubt you will enjoy these. Plus Michelle puts a lot of detail in her novels so those who aren't fimilar with Egypt can get a good understanding of what is going on.

Thanks for that. And since I think you were the one who got me turned on to Guersney Litereary Society, I may just have to try it. Keeping an open mind is a good thing, in life as well as reading!

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Postby michellemoran » Sun September 7th, 2008, 4:51 pm

Thank you, Divia. And Ash, no offense taken at all. Even if you were to have read the book and said it was utter trash I wouldn't be offended (sad that I disappointed, but not offended!).

And Ash, I share your views about fiction set in Greece and Rome, too. My third book is Cleopatra's Daughter, based on the true story of Cleopatra's twins with Mark Antony who were taken to Rome and paraded through the streets in Octavian's Triumph. Although ancient Rome and the Middle Ages are my academic specialties, I've shied away from reading Greek and Roman fiction for the same reason I never read any Egyptian before Nefertiti was published. Firstly, most books set in ancient Rome are war-heavy, whereas I'm interested in women's day-to-day lives. Secondly, they're often bogged down in Senate politics which, while fascinating, excluded women.

But more books are starting to appear where women take center stage in the Roman Empire, like Pilate's Wife and Boudica. While I've purchased these books, I'm wary of reading them until I've finished my own novels, just in case they influence my writing (and research). I'll have to check our reviews section on this blog to see if anyone's read them. I've heard great things about Manda Scott's Boudica.
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Two Houses by Fran Cooper
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favorite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Postby Vanessa » Tue September 9th, 2008, 9:18 am

I've finished this book now. This is the first book I have ever read set in Egypt, so I did approach it with trepidation as it's not an era I've thought of reading about before. However, I was very pleasantly suprised and I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it! I think it's good to be taken out of your comfort zone sometimes.

I liked the way it was written, it was so very readable. I thought it was fast paced and very entertaining. I loved all the different elements to it - mystery, war and, of course, the love story! It gave me a good insight into the Egyptian way of live, about which I knew very little (apart from watching films like The Mummy!:rolleyes :) - I found it all very interesting. I was glad of the family tree, map and glossary, they helped me immensely. I like Nefertari and I think Ramesses should be added to the "hunk" list! I'm not sure I'd like to share him, though! :eek: What a thing!

Thanks to whoever nominated the book and also a huge thanks to Michelle for writing it! "Nefertiti" is on my wish list and I look forward to seeing your next book being published.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Postby Divia » Tue September 9th, 2008, 11:13 am

I'm glad you enjoyed it!

I dont know a lick about Egyptian history except for the brief things I was taught in college, and I barely remember it. I loved the way Michelle talks about the makeup, fashions, jewerly they used to wear.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.

http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Carine
Compulsive Reader
Currently reading: Jonkvrouw - Jean-Claude Van Ryckeghem
Interest in HF: I love history
Favorite HF book: Can't pin that down to only 1 :-)
Preferred HF: Medieval, Tudor and Ancient Egyptian

Postby Carine » Tue September 9th, 2008, 12:53 pm

I've read Nefertiti and loved it very much, now I'm really looking forward to reading The Heretic Queen. But then again I am an Ancient Egyptian-fan !

A few years ago I read the Ramesses series (5 books) by Christian Jacq which I enjoyed but with Michelle Moran's book Nefertiti, I felt more like "involved" in the story and that gives that "unputdownable" feeling.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.

Postby Vanessa » Tue September 9th, 2008, 5:08 pm

"Divia" wrote:I'm glad you enjoyed it!

I dont know a lick about Egyptian history except for the brief things I was taught in college, and I barely remember it. I loved the way Michelle talks about the makeup, fashions, jewerly they used to wear.

I enjoyed that part, too, Divia. I was trying to visualise Nefertari in my mind in her 'kohl' make up and sheaths. And Ramesses in his kilt and 'nemes' crown!! LOL. It all sounded very ostentatious which I suppose it was.

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

TerriPray
Reader

Postby TerriPray » Tue September 9th, 2008, 5:20 pm

I'll have to wait until December to read this one. That's the earliest that the local library can get a copy through inter library loan. They won't get their own copy until some time next year...
Currently reading through submissions ranging from alternative history to science fiction and fantasy.

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Postby LCW » Tue September 9th, 2008, 5:31 pm

Has anyone gotten their copy yet? Those who had to preorder it online?
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac

Postby Vanessa » Tue September 9th, 2008, 5:38 pm

It's already out in the UK.

Return to “Feature of the Month”