Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Crocodile on the Sandbank, Elizabeth Peters

pat
Avid Reader

Postby pat » Tue August 26th, 2008, 12:43 am

This is the first in a series of novels, featuring the adventures of Amelia Peabody.

Amelia Peabody, a 'proper' English lady, decides upon the death of her father to travel. She decides to go to Egypt and visit the Pyramids and tombs. On her way, her original companion falls ill and is sent back to England. In Rome, Amelia finds a new companion in the form of Evelyn. A young woman of good breeding, led astray by a devious lover.

The two women travel up the Nile, and meet the Emersons; two brothers, one at the time of the meeting is very ill. Amelia nurses Radcliffe back to health, and helps the archaeologist with his works. As they uncover finds, the mystery begins!

I found this an enchanting read! It was not soppy and slushy, nor was it gruesome! Normally I would not have picked this genre, but thanks to reading about it here, I have the second book waiting for me at the library! Not only do we read about the lovely Amelia, but we also read about the Egyptian lives, and ways.

A very good read! Light and bright!
A good book and a good coffee, what more can anyone want? xx

Ellie
Reader

Postby Ellie » Sat October 25th, 2008, 2:41 am

I love this series and am working my way through them! I love how she writes and I get quite a few laughs out of them. I also love how she makes the characters come alive. My only trouble is sometimes the writing can drag on a bit.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Postby diamondlil » Sat October 25th, 2008, 9:36 am

I am a big fan of this author as well. I too am reading my way through the series, and have really enjoyed the last couple of books I read in particular.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Wildflowers by Harriet Evans
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Wed August 14th, 2013, 10:41 am

I'm sorry to report that Elizabeth Peters (aka Barbara Michaels for her mystery/gothic novels) passed away last week, at 85.
Currently reading "The Wildflowers" by Harriet Evans

Return to “By Author's Last Name M-Q”