Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Upcoming Historical Movies

chuck
Bibliophile

Triumph of the Will

Postby chuck » Fri February 13th, 2009, 4:06 pm

"annis" wrote:"Triumph of the Will" is a powerful documentary, whatever you think of Leni Riefenstahl. Those huge massed rallies, using imagery based on the triumphs held by the Roman Empire, are scarily impressive. I recently watched some You Tube clips of the Nuremberg Rally and a Youth Rally presided over by Hitler and it sent shivers up my spine.
(One of the wonders of the internet is being able to see history in action)

Hello Annis....In college I had a class that showed the film in it's totality.....and Yes it was so impressive, well done and very SCARY.....I have never seen anything like it.....Leni was very talented and it was a shame that she did not see the what was coming and should have got out that political propaganda arena as soon as possible......the film (if produced) should be really interesting....Everything Ive seen and heard about her is so ostricized and tainted by her Nazi Party experiences that it is hard to look at her objectively....I wonder if the real truth/reason is out there....She is such a mystery.....

nona
Bibliophile

Postby nona » Fri February 13th, 2009, 5:52 pm

who is Leni R. ?

chuck
Bibliophile

Leni Riefenstahl

Postby chuck » Fri February 13th, 2009, 6:31 pm

"nona" wrote:who is Leni R. ?

She is a famous for her propaganda film called "Triumph of the Will".....very controversial woman.....check her out on wikipedia and see a few clips of TOTW on U Tube...Beautifully filmed and directed and yet scary at the power of the film's over all visual influence......

annis
Bibliomaniac

Postby annis » Sat February 14th, 2009, 2:55 am

Full movie hereif you're interested, Nona. It will take a few moments to load so hang in there.

Info on Leni herself:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leni_Riefenstahl
She was very taken with Hitler, but always swore that she never bought into the whole Nazi deal, though she has been vilified over the years for her connection to the Nazi movement.

enelya
Reader

Postby enelya » Mon February 16th, 2009, 4:17 pm

I have seen it as well in college, and I have to agree, it is scary. But I think that's mainly because we now know things about the Hitler regime and things that would happen that weren't known when the movie was made. Our knowledge of events gives it a sinister, creepy undertone.
All in all, hard to watch, although I could appreciate the work that went in it and the beauty of some shots

chuck
Bibliophile

Teutonic Crusade

Postby chuck » Mon February 16th, 2009, 7:08 pm

"enelya" wrote:I have seen it as well in college, and I have to agree, it is scary. But I think that's mainly because we now know things about the Hitler regime and things that would happen that weren't known when the movie was made. Our knowledge of events gives it a sinister, creepy undertone.
All in all, hard to watch, although I could appreciate the work that went in it and the beauty of some shots

Very good point.......The "Triumph of the Will" film; reminded me of the old scenes from "The Crusaders" film by Cecil B. De Mille (facts be dammed) ....where Peter the Hermit was preaching "God Wills It" and challenging all of Europe to take up "The Cross" and to take back the Holy Land....Hitler loved Frederick the Great and the Teutonic myths.....and LR used that imagery, sets and lighting to create the Teutonic image....
Last edited by chuck on Mon February 16th, 2009, 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Wed April 8th, 2009, 3:48 am

Al Pacino to play Napoleon in family movie
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090408/film_nm/us_pacino_1

Al Pacino, who has long been interested in tackling the character of Napoleon, is set to play the French strongman in a movie based on the children's book "Betsy and the Emperor.".....

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Body in the Ice by A J Mackenzie & A Death in the Dales by Julia Chapman
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Wed April 8th, 2009, 11:00 am

Well he's certainly small enough! Great actor though.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Wed April 8th, 2009, 1:45 pm

Pacino as Napolean? That will be interesting. I'll have to see that 'cause I can't quite imagine it.

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Postby michellemoran » Wed April 8th, 2009, 3:36 pm

Al Pacino, who has long been interested in tackling the character of Napoleon, is set to play the French strongman in a movie based on the children's book "Betsy and the Emperor.".....

How interesting. I wonder why - of all the wonderful novels and biographies out there - he'd choose a children book???? Though I have to admit I've never read it. Is it particularly cinematic? Strange.
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”