Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Upcoming Historical Movies

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Postby LCW » Wed February 11th, 2009, 12:17 am

"SonjaMarie" wrote:A movie about Charles Darwin, based on a book by his great-great-grandson, is going to be out in 2009:
Creation
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0974014/

SM

I'm very interested in seeing this movie. I only hope they do it justice and don't cave to the anti science lobby in this country. So far the summary of the movie isn't too promising:

What happens when a world-renowned scientist, crushed by the loss of his eldest daughter, conceives a book which will prove the non-existence of God. This is the story of Charles Darwin and his master-work "The Origin of Species". It tells of a global revolution played out the confines of a small English village; a passionate marriage torn apart by the most dangerous idea in history; and a theory saved from extinction by the logic of a child. Written by JC

I have a huge problem with this part: "conceives a book which will prove the non-existence of God". First of all, it's not like The Origin of Species just popped into his head one balmy Sunday afternoon. And it doesn't prove or disprove the existance of a God. It deals with Darwin's conclusions based on his scientific observations, some of which are still accepted as fact, some have been modified, and some have been shown to be false. I'll be really interested to see how the movie handles this subject.
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

Telynor
Bibliophile

Postby Telynor » Wed February 11th, 2009, 5:30 am

Here's the review I wrote up on the book. Any comments most welcome.

http://www.epinions.com/content_165321346692 -- Love and Honor (novel)

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Postby Divia » Wed February 11th, 2009, 12:10 pm

To sum up, while Mr. Wallace may be a famous author, I found not a scrap of evidence to support this claim in this book

Ouch! But, on the other hand I guess that gives people like me hope that one day I'll be published. ;)
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Volgadon
Compulsive Reader

Postby Volgadon » Wed February 11th, 2009, 4:26 pm

Angelina Jolie seems very unlikely for Catherine but I don't see much wrong about having it set in 1774 even though there are more exciting periods. I guess the American Revolution setting is to give an American audience something to relate to.

Volgadon
Compulsive Reader

Postby Volgadon » Wed February 11th, 2009, 4:45 pm

"Alaric" wrote:If I could make a movie about Catherine I would have gone with her rise to the throne - ie. early life in Russia with Elizabeth, marriage to Peter III, his brief reign, her love trysts with half the male population of Europe, and then the coup to make her empress. Hell, I should just write it!

Half the male population of Europe? Puhleeze. Hyperbole pure and simple. Twelve documented lovers in over forty years does not half of Europe make.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Wed February 11th, 2009, 8:34 pm

"Volgadon" wrote:Angelina Jolie seems very unlikely for Catherine but I don't see much wrong about having it set in 1774 even though there are more exciting periods. I guess the American Revolution setting is to give an American audience something to relate to.

Sadly, most American's don't relate to the American Revolution. If that's what they're betting on, they're going to be very disappointed with the box office results.

Volgadon
Compulsive Reader

Postby Volgadon » Wed February 11th, 2009, 8:51 pm

What I mean is that there is some connection to America.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Postby Divia » Wed February 11th, 2009, 10:42 pm

Americans won't care about that. All they care about is sex and violence and CGI stuff. They want more Batman movies. :D
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.

http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

chuck
Bibliophile

Postby chuck » Fri February 13th, 2009, 2:17 am

Jodi Foster is scheduled to do a Biopic about "Triumph of the Wills" Leni Riefenstahl....Why would she take this project on? I'm really curious how she will portray LR....I've read the world still has not forgiven her for her involvement with the Nazi Party and Hitler....She did live till the ripe old age of 101.....Also she did have some success as a Photographer.....Arch case of Denial...... me thinks.....

annis
Bibliomaniac

Postby annis » Fri February 13th, 2009, 6:42 am

"Triumph of the Will" is a powerful documentary, whatever you think of Leni Riefenstahl. Those huge massed rallies, using imagery based on the triumphs held by the Roman Empire, are scarily impressive. I recently watched some You Tube clips of the Nuremberg Rally and a Youth Rally presided over by Hitler and it sent shivers up my spine.
(One of the wonders of the internet is being able to see history in action)

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”