Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Things that bother you

Cuchulainn
Reader

Things that bother you

Postby Cuchulainn » Sun August 31st, 2008, 2:18 pm

I conceived of this thread as a place to vent about things that bother or annoy you and, possibly, to find some company in your irritation.

I start with two history-related things that bothered me:

One: I heard a movie advertised on the radio. I didn't catch the title but it sounded like a romance set in the fourteenth century. In an effort, I assume, to convey the sense that the movie took place in the past, the music to the advertisement was Handel. I don't think I have to explain further why this is so stupid and ignorant and annoying.

Two: One of the lady's on a television program "The View" (no I don't habitually watch this show - my wife was watching it and I caught a bit of it) used the phrase "in old English times." But she wasn't referring to England, itself, in the past, but rather simply to the general history of the West (I doubt the East even exists to her) which, I believe, in her mind, created a general impression of lords and ladys probably listening to music that sounds like Handel. I cannot remember the context of the discussion to convince you that my interpretation of the thought behind her use of the phrase is correct- you'll have to take me at my word. Again, what crass ignorance.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Postby Divia » Sun August 31st, 2008, 2:25 pm

I'm annoyed by those paper ads in magazines. I have to rip them all out before I can read one.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Postby Rowan » Sun August 31st, 2008, 4:46 pm

Mine's familial related.... I hate the way my mother talks about me - even in front of me - and expects me "not to be offended". All she ever wants to do is remind me of how imperfect I am.

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Postby sweetpotatoboy » Tue September 2nd, 2008, 10:30 am

I get annoyed by lemons that you can't squeeze...

You want a lemon that you can slice in half and then squeeze. Half the time the skin's too thick and there's no give in it... I try to examine the bag of lemons very carefully before buying and I'm getting better at judging but...

(Not a major dilemma, I know, but... a pet peeve all the same)

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Postby diamondlil » Tue September 2nd, 2008, 10:42 am

People who park all over the place at the train station even though there are still loads of spaces left. Once the spaces are all gone, I don't care - park where you like, but if there's still spaces....use them!
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Perdita
Reader

Postby Perdita » Tue September 2nd, 2008, 5:48 pm

Since the smoking ban in England, I get irritated by people who huddle up outside pubs and in office doorways puffing away and blowing big clouds of smoke into the pavement so you have to either walk through it (and choke to death) or walk around it (and get hit by a car)

Leyland
Bibliophile

Postby Leyland » Tue September 2nd, 2008, 5:57 pm

I get extremely bothered by young children running around in a restaurant making lots of shrill noise .... while their parents sit nearby and do nothing to control or correct the behaviour of their offensive offspring. There's a reason in-home babysitters exist!!

TerriPray
Reader

Postby TerriPray » Tue September 2nd, 2008, 6:11 pm

Mine's a follow on from Leyland's...

People who shoot nasty looks, or hiss words at myself or my husband when we try to chastise our children if they mis-behave in public.

We will put my children on time out in the middle of the store, restaurant, shopping mall etc, if they act up. We've been insulted, hissed at, sworn at, and threatened for doing so.

We have two very strong willed children, 5 and 8, if they aren't corrected immediately for something they've done wrong, then it causes problems. Delayed action doesn't work with a 5 year old, and barely works with an 8 year old.
Currently reading through submissions ranging from alternative history to science fiction and fantasy.

tsjmom
Reader

Postby tsjmom » Tue September 2nd, 2008, 7:26 pm

Cars that cut in line at the last minute, thus causing the actual traffic slow down :X

Return to “Chat”