Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer

Hoopking
Scribbler

Postby Hoopking » Thu November 6th, 2008, 6:40 pm

My 15 yr old daughter is in love with this series so I have read the first two books and am into the third. I can see why young girls are thrilled with the character, but for me the author is very repaticious in her adoration of the male character Edward. How many times can you say how gorgeous someone is. Also, the premise was a little hard for me to grasp after knowing the old vampire tales I grew up with.
So the book is definatley for the female of the human being but I have enjoyed it as much as I can. I think for myself I will enjoy the movie a little more because it won't have the girl say every sentence how beautiful and god like Edward is.

cookie
Scribbler

Postby cookie » Thu November 6th, 2008, 8:01 pm

So true hoopking !
It certainly is repititous and soooooooo boring !
I'm halfway through Twilight and skimming... there are some interesting passages, but it's far too much of Bella rabbiting on about the gorgeousness of Edward !!

Hoopking
Scribbler

Postby Hoopking » Thu November 6th, 2008, 9:05 pm

soooooooo boring

It will get better in the final chapters if you can get to them, but it is very predictable.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Thu November 13th, 2008, 10:46 pm

Here's a video clip from a local station that just featured Forks and the upcoming movie.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Postby EC2 » Thu November 13th, 2008, 10:57 pm

I read the first one way ahead of the hype several years ago, and I loved it - really loved it. My publishers bought it for the UK before it broke big and when I was visiting them in London, I grabbed it off their new release shelf, said 'Hey, I've read this. It is going to be HUGE and it will sell in its millions.' They were hoping it would do well but at the time the buzz had yet to gather and they hadn't a clue how well. So now, very smugly, I can say 'Told ya so, nyaaa.' :p :D
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

cookie
Scribbler

Postby cookie » Fri November 14th, 2008, 7:35 am

"Hoopking" wrote:It will get better in the final chapters if you can get to them, but it is very predictable.

The ending was okay - I reckon it would be a great book if it was cut in half !!!

Hoopking
Scribbler

Postby Hoopking » Sat November 15th, 2008, 3:29 pm

"cookie" wrote:The ending was okay - I reckon it would be a great book if it was cut in half !!!

I agree completely I am still struggling through the third book, boy what we do for our kids. :D

MrsMorland
Reader

Postby MrsMorland » Sat November 15th, 2008, 7:16 pm

I am about halfway through the first one and so far I like it. I certainly walked farther than I usually do on the treadmill while reading it because I was so engrossed!

Hoopking
Scribbler

Postby Hoopking » Mon November 17th, 2008, 6:10 am

"MrsMorland" wrote:I am about halfway through the first one and so far I like it. I certainly walked farther than I usually do on the treadmill while reading it because I was so engrossed!

There are not that many who don't really like it. I think she is a very good writer and I plan to see the movie as well. I just grew up on the old vampires and they had no trouble changing young teenage girls into vampires. That is why this appeals to the younger reader more that those of us not so young any more. Also it appeals to girls and young women more than us hardened men. :D

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Postby LCW » Mon November 17th, 2008, 4:34 pm

On a whim I picked up the first book in the series while browsing a bookstore. I always do the impulse buys in the store as opposed to careful research of the novels I purchase online. If I don't like it I can always give it to my 17 yr old sister, assuming she hasn't read it yet!
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

Return to “Others”