Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Intro

Don't forget to read the rules before posting!
tsjmom
Reader

Postby tsjmom » Sun August 31st, 2008, 3:53 pm

Hi Grasshopper! Hope you enjoy HF as much as we do!

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Two Houses by Fran Cooper
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favorite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Postby Vanessa » Mon September 1st, 2008, 6:47 pm

"Madeleine" wrote:I've just found this board via Elizabeth Chadwick's website.

I've just started reading "The Greatest Knight" by EC, quite enjoying it so far but finding it a bit difficult to keep track of what country they're in, and what year, but I've noticed other people have mentioned this too.

Hi Madeleine, it's a small world, isn't it!? :) Fancy seeing you here, too!

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Postby Ash » Mon September 1st, 2008, 10:51 pm

Grasshopper, welcome! I am another Cornwell fan. I loved the Arthur books and am now starting on the Archer series, then plan to read the Anglo Saxon one. My DH is a big Sharpe fan, you might like those books as well (they take place during the wars with Napoleon). He also wrote a very interesting HFantasy about how Stonehendge was built. Happy reading!

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Two Houses by Fran Cooper
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favorite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Postby Vanessa » Tue September 2nd, 2008, 10:43 am

Welcome, Grasshopper. That name takes me back a bit. Was it David or John Carradine, I can never remember. I've even forgotten the name of the programme!

Grasshopper
Scribbler

Postby Grasshopper » Tue September 2nd, 2008, 7:54 pm

Heh...I never watched that show...I think it was David, though.

Ash,

I've looked into the Sharpe series...just haven't committed to it yet. I found Jack Whyte and am about 75% through the current series. Sharpe will come someday.

Barbara Passaris
Scribbler

Welcome!

Postby Barbara Passaris » Wed September 3rd, 2008, 12:43 am

Welcome, Grasshopper. You'll love the folks on this site. If I must say (in all humility, LOL) we're a humble lot, despite our vast amounts of knowledge. (This is tongue in cheek.) Seriously, though, you'll love the openness and respect even when we disagree. And this truly is a very interesting group to chat with! Hope you love it as much as I do!

Well, I'm back on this site, and so happy to "see" so many of you again...I was really upset when I thought that HF had gone bye-bye on us forever...Really missed all of you!

~Barb

Alaric
Avid Reader

Postby Alaric » Wed September 3rd, 2008, 10:44 am

Welcome to the (new) forum, Grasshopper. :)

Grasshopper
Scribbler

Postby Grasshopper » Wed September 3rd, 2008, 11:14 am

Thanks everyone!

Carla
Compulsive Reader

Postby Carla » Wed September 3rd, 2008, 3:48 pm

Hello and welcome! The 'Dark Ages' (aka 'early medieval', a name I like better because it doesn't sound so gloomy!) is the period I write in. Bernard Cornwell's Arthur trilogy is probably my favourite after Sharpe, and Guinevere is one of his more memorable heroines. Somewhere in the foreword to one of his books, he said he based his construction of the battle of Badon Hill on Wellington's victory at Salamanca. The first series of Sharpe is still my favourite - Cornwell's encyclopaedic knowledge of the Peninsualar War is awesome.

How are you finding Jack Whyte? I thought the pace slowed down in the later Camulod novels.
PATHS OF EXILE - love, war, honour and betrayal in Anglo-Saxon Northumbria
Editor's Choice, Historical Novels Review, August 2009
Now available as e-book on Amazon Kindleand in Kindle, Epub (Nook, Sony Reader), Palm and other formats on Smashwords
Blog: http://carlanayland.blogspot.com

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Postby sweetpotatoboy » Wed September 3rd, 2008, 3:59 pm

Hi and welcome. I share your interest in HF and fantasy, especially Arthurian.

I think Cornwell's work is among the best of recent Arthurian retellings. I'm currently reading the last of Jack Whyte's Camulod books (hence the avatar!).

Return to “Introduce Yourself”