Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What's in your CD player?

nona
Bibliophile

Postby nona » Fri February 6th, 2009, 8:23 pm

hey thanks, I've got a place to start from. I found a irishbandslist.com but it wasn't all the helpful for what I'm looking for.

chuck
Bibliophile

Irish Bands

Postby chuck » Fri February 13th, 2009, 5:25 pm

"nona" wrote:hey thanks, I've got a place to start from. I found a irishbandslist.com but it wasn't all the helpful for what I'm looking for.

Hey Nona....I saw "Pride and Glory" enjoyable....a bit predictable....but Norton, Farrell, Voight, and others were great....I really liked the soundtrack; it made the movie....Waterline by Sage Francis really interesting...reminded me of Luka Bloom.....I like edgy Irish Rock Bands.....a few come to mind...The Waterboys, Black 47, The Walls(mellow) Pugwash etc....check out utube and amazon...they are always a big help in checking out bands and video songs....plus Leyland, Volgadon and others are great resources....Have fun.....BTW He is not Irish....But.... check out Richard Thompson very edgy singer and guitar player..... he is terrific.....he made a classic album with his wife (at that time) Linda Thompson..."Shoot Out the Lights"

Leyland
Bibliophile

Postby Leyland » Fri February 13th, 2009, 5:34 pm

He's not exactly in my CD player cause I'm tuning into YouTube and MySpace at work, but Tinsley Ellis is chasing away the blues right now! Actually he's appearing in Greenville SC tonight at a bar/listening room for a benefit concert across the street from work. I'm so excited and ready to rock at this show tonight. Blues rock is a great love of mine in addition to Celt rock!
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

nona
Bibliophile

Postby nona » Fri February 13th, 2009, 6:03 pm

well my Gaelic Storm cds arrived yesterday so I'm listening to them, I love the song titled 'The Night I punched Russel Crowe'..lol it's a comical song! I bought Craic Wisely as well I loved their song titled 'Pride(an Irish Family)'. I've got plunty of 'pub music' as my husband says.

I did listen to some of Flogging Molly, I really liked a few of their songs, like Paddys Lament, If I Ever Leave This World Alive, Factory girls, etc.

chuck
Bibliophile

Blues chaser

Postby chuck » Fri February 13th, 2009, 6:13 pm

"Leyland" wrote:He's not exactly in my CD player cause I'm tuning into YouTube and MySpace at work, but Tinsley Ellis is chasing away the blues right now! Actually he's appearing in Greenville SC tonight at a bar/listening room for a benefit concert across the street from work. I'm so excited and ready to rock at this show tonight. Blues rock is a great love of mine in addition to Celt rock!

Old saying "The Blues had a child and they called it Rock and Roll"....Keep on Rockin'....it will soothe your soul....Enjoy

Volgadon
Compulsive Reader

Postby Volgadon » Fri February 13th, 2009, 6:35 pm

OOOOOOH YES Richard Thompson is amazing. Has the best renditions of Shenandoah and Mingulay Boat Song I have ever heard.
Beeswing.
Mingulay Boat Song.
The Cuckoo.
One Door Opens.

Leyland
Bibliophile

Postby Leyland » Fri February 13th, 2009, 8:29 pm

Thompson and his wife have recorded separate tracks on Evangeline Made: A Tribute to Cajun Music that are both so beautiful. Hers is Valse de Balfa - one of my favorite Cajun trad songs.
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

chuck
Bibliophile

The Thompson's....A Cajun tribute

Postby chuck » Fri February 13th, 2009, 9:04 pm

"Leyland" wrote:Thompson and his wife have recorded separate tracks on Evangeline Made: A Tribute to Cajun Music that are both so beautiful. Hers is Valse de Balfa - one of my favorite Cajun trad songs.

I remember being so bummed when they split....they made beautiful music.....I will definitely check out the Tribute; Evangeline Made...Valse de Balfa track.....listening to Buddy Guy..........

chuck
Bibliophile

Thompson

Postby chuck » Fri February 13th, 2009, 9:10 pm

"Volgadon" wrote:OOOOOOH YES Richard Thompson is amazing. Has the best renditions of Shenandoah and Mingulay Boat Song I have ever heard.
Beeswing.
Mingulay Boat Song.
The Cuckoo.
One Door Opens.

Thanks.....truly amazing music.....No one plays guitar like RT................

Caveowl
Scribbler

Postby Caveowl » Sat February 14th, 2009, 12:41 am

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”