Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Going Away, Hopefully Not Blown Away

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Postby michellemoran » Sat August 30th, 2008, 4:05 pm

Keep safe!
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Postby EC2 » Sat August 30th, 2008, 4:49 pm

Wishing you well Rowan and hope that everything passes without damage.
Speaking of lights for reading by in emergencies. I've invested in one that you wind manually that's supposed to last about an hour and half between winds. I've not tried it out yet beyond going to put out the rubbish and doing small jobs in the dark, but it's worked well so far.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

tsjmom
Reader

Postby tsjmom » Sat August 30th, 2008, 4:51 pm

Hope everyone down in the Gulf area keeps safe.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Sat August 30th, 2008, 5:26 pm

Be safe! Good luck! My thoughts and prayers are will you and everyone else in the path of Gustav, may this NOT be another Katrina!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

pat
Avid Reader

Postby pat » Sun August 31st, 2008, 6:12 am

Thoughts are with you. Take care.

x
A good book and a good coffee, what more can anyone want? xx

Leyland
Bibliophile

Postby Leyland » Sun August 31st, 2008, 12:52 pm

"SonjaMarie" wrote:Be safe! Good luck! My thoughts and prayers are will you and everyone else in the path of Gustav, may this NOT be another Katrina!

SM

I saw a close comparison to 1965's Hurricane Betsy (Billion Dollar Betsy) on the Weather Channel should the storm make landfall near the mouth of the Mississippi, so I believe considerable flooding and wreckage is expected with Gustav, worse than Katrina. I'm listening to the parish officials being explicit that anyone not complying with the mandatory evacuation order will not receive any services, emergency or otherwise, until it's safe for first responders and other rescue personnel to return in the storm's aftermath.

I hope no life is lost since everyone there seems to have the opportunity to leave in time. This time, he is rightly telling people to leave as there will be no shelter provided in the city.

All southern LA and other Gulf Coast residents are in my prayers. Saved lives can rebuild homes and I hope everyone stays safe to do so.
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Sun August 31st, 2008, 1:20 pm

Take care, and I'm also glad to see that everyone seems to be leaving in time.

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Postby Rowan » Sun August 31st, 2008, 4:49 pm

Hi Everyone... Just a quick update. My family and I have evacuated to Prairieville, LA, which, while not all that far from New Orleans (roughly 45 minutes), is higher ground and out of the brunt of the storm. We're staying with my cousin who has a huge house. The actual evacuation was not as bad as the last time I had to do this. I was not living in New Orleans at the time of Katrina, but returned with my family, so I had no part in the evacuation. My previous evacuation experience is from the late 90s.

The weather forecast is for the rain to start tracking in about 3PM today and continue on until the storm makes landfall. I will return as I am able to update everyone again.

Judith
Scribbler

Postby Judith » Sun August 31st, 2008, 8:07 pm

Stay safe and will keep all of you in our thoughts and prayers.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Postby diamondlil » Sun August 31st, 2008, 8:28 pm

"Rowan" wrote:Hi Everyone... Just a quick update. My family and I have evacuated to Prairieville, LA, which, while not all that far from New Orleans (roughly 45 minutes), is higher ground and out of the brunt of the storm. We're staying with my cousin who has a huge house. The actual evacuation was not as bad as the last time I had to do this. I was not living in New Orleans at the time of Katrina, but returned with my family, so I had no part in the evacuation. My previous evacuation experience is from the late 90s.

The weather forecast is for the rain to start tracking in about 3PM today and continue on until the storm makes landfall. I will return as I am able to update everyone again.

The evacuation certainly seems to have been much more organised this time. There was something on the news here last night saying that for the first time in hundreds of years both sides of the freeways out of NO were both travelling in the same direction to aid the evacuation. Seems like common sense, and it is great to see that it is prevailing this time around.

Keep safe!

Return to “Chat”