Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading?

Retired Threads
Leyland
Bibliophile

Postby Leyland » Fri December 12th, 2008, 11:57 pm

Just going into Part Two of American Gods by Neil Gaiman. I'm loving the mix of mythological gods in a contemporary set novel. A handful of parts are a bit more graphically vulgar than I'm used to, but not enough to turn me off the story. He's got a great imagination.
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Postby EC2 » Sat December 13th, 2008, 1:32 am

"Leyland" wrote:Just going into Part Two of American Gods by Neil Gaiman. I'm loving the mix of mythological gods in a contemporary set novel. A handful of parts are a bit more graphically vulgar than I'm used to, but not enough to turn me off the story. He's got a great imagination.

I really must get around to reading Neil Gaiman. I keep hearing very strong recommendations, and I loved Stardust the movie.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Telynor
Bibliophile

Postby Telynor » Sat December 13th, 2008, 3:29 am

Just finished up The Glass of Time earlier, and it makes a very good sequel to The Meaning of Night. There's a review of it posted over in the book reviews section.

Now to pick my next read -- here's my choices (any thoughts?)
The Seer of Egypt by Pauline Gedge
The Road by Cormac McCarthy
American Lion by Jon Meacham (nf)
An Accomplished Woman by Jude Morgan
The Physiology of Taste by Brillat-Savarin (nf)

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Postby Amanda » Sat December 13th, 2008, 3:30 am

Time and Chance by Sharon Penman and The Heretic Queen by Michelle Moran.

I figured out, that I read WCASSS a little over 4 years ago, so a bit of a gap in reading the series there, but her writing is jogging my memory!

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Postby Amanda » Sat December 13th, 2008, 3:32 am

"Telynor" wrote:Now to pick my next read -- here's my choices (any thoughts?)

I vote for An Accomplished Woman.

I haven't read any of those, but I have read The King's Touch by Jude Morgan, so would be curious to read your review of this one!

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Postby boswellbaxter » Sat December 13th, 2008, 3:35 am

"Telynor" wrote:Just finished up The Glass of Time earlier, and it makes a very good sequel to The Meaning of Night. There's a review of it posted over in the book reviews section.

Now to pick my next read -- here's my choices (any thoughts?)

I vote for the Jude Morgan--haven't read this one but The King's Touch is one of the best historical novels I've read.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Telynor
Bibliophile

Postby Telynor » Sat December 13th, 2008, 3:44 am

"Amanda" wrote:I vote for An Accomplished Woman.

I haven't read any of those, but I have read The King's Touch by Jude Morgan, so would be curious to read your review of this one!

here's the link for the review over at Epinions. Comments most welcome

http://www.epinions.com/content_165935419012

Alaric
Avid Reader

Postby Alaric » Sat December 13th, 2008, 11:06 am

"Alaric" wrote:I'm going to try and finish Master and Commander by the end of the week. It's been a busy last ten or so days for me, I haven't really felt like reading much so it's taken me quite awhile to finish it.

Yeah ... that's not going to happen. :o

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Postby Ash » Sat December 13th, 2008, 12:16 pm

"Leyland" wrote:Just going into Part Two of American Gods by Neil Gaiman. I'm loving the mix of mythological gods in a contemporary set novel. A handful of parts are a bit more graphically vulgar than I'm used to, but not enough to turn me off the story. He's got a great imagination.

Oh I loved that book! I had to read it a second time because I missed many of the myth references (and I had the website to help me along that time), and I enjoyed every minute I spent with it. Have you read any of Gaiman's other work?

EC, you might start with his first short story collection, Smoke and Mirrors. His combination of fantasy, horror, and humor really works. His new one, Graveyard Book is quite good, even tho its marketed as YA. My fav of his is actually the one he wrote with Terry Pratchett, Good Omens.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Outcasts of Time by Ian Mortimer
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favorite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Postby Vanessa » Sat December 13th, 2008, 2:07 pm

I loved Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman, the one about the lost world of the disused underground stations. I also enjoyed Stardust, both the book and the film. My daughter loved Coraline - I think she was fascinated by the fact that the parents on the other side of the wall had button eyes. There is a film due out soon, I think. As an extra for her for Christmas I have bought The Graveyard Book, which I might sneakily read myself at some point!
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Return to “Archives”