Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading?

Retired Threads
Ash
Bibliomaniac

Postby Ash » Sun November 30th, 2008, 2:48 pm

"Ariadne" wrote:I'm about 100 pages into Luis Alberto Urrea's The Hummingbird's Daughter and am attempting to read it while husband & nephew watch a recent .

That is such an incredible book. Even for a someone living so close to Mexico, there was much here I didn't know about. And the story of Teresita was so well done. BTW he wrote a non fiction book called Devil's Highway that I recommend to anyone interested in the immigration issue.

I never read Poldark, but I was in love with that character on the BBC series!

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Postby Ariadne » Sun November 30th, 2008, 2:59 pm

Thanks, good to know! I haven't read anything by Urrea before.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favorite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Postby MLE (Emily Cotton) » Mon December 1st, 2008, 4:58 am

NF: Driving Over Lemons: and Optimist in Spain. An amusing account of a transplanted Brit adjusting to a farm in the Alpujarra region. I was taking an old suitcase to donate when I saw there was still something in the side pocket, and there it was. I'd bought it two years ago when I was in Trevelez and wondered what I did with it.
In the same pocket, a copy of Sabatini's Captain Blood, started on the same trip. Maybe I'll finish that next.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: A Rising Man by Abir Mukherjee & The Blue by Nancy Bilyeau (Pigeonhole)
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favorite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Postby Vanessa » Mon December 1st, 2008, 8:43 am

I've read Driving Over Lemons. I enjoyed it. The second one is good, too, but I think the third one seemed to lose it somehow! Chris Stewart used to be the drummer in the band, Genesis.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Postby diamondlil » Mon December 1st, 2008, 9:27 am

Shadows in Bronze by Lindsey Davis - the second book in the Marcus Didius Falco series of mysteries set in Rome.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Postby Susan » Mon December 1st, 2008, 10:17 am

"diamondlil" wrote:Shadows in Bronze by Lindsey Davis - the second book in the Marcus Didius Falco series of mysteries set in Rome.

I love that series! I never did read all the books though. I need to figure out where I left off. I think the last one I read took place at Petra.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Postby diamondlil » Mon December 1st, 2008, 10:41 am

I read the first book ages ago, and have been meaning to pick up this one as well. I have borrowed it from the library a number of times, but never actually managed to start it, but I am determined that I am going to read it this time. The fact that it was due back today will not deter me!
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: A Rising Man by Abir Mukherjee & The Blue by Nancy Bilyeau (Pigeonhole)
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favorite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Postby Vanessa » Mon December 1st, 2008, 2:42 pm

I'm just about to start Lords of the White Castle by Elizabeth Chadwick.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

TLee
Reader

Postby TLee » Mon December 1st, 2008, 11:02 pm

I am half way through The Love Knot by Elizabeth Chadwick and am truly enjoying it.

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Postby Amanda » Mon December 1st, 2008, 11:10 pm

I have started "The Heretic's Daughter" by Kathleen Kent.

Return to “Archives”