Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading?

Retired Threads
Judith
Scribbler

Postby Judith » Sun August 31st, 2008, 9:39 pm

"Divia" wrote:Just finished The Heretic Queen. AMAZING!!!!!

I have no idea what to read next.

Lucky You!!! :D I'm looking forward to getting that one!!

lindymc
Reader

Postby lindymc » Sun August 31st, 2008, 9:48 pm

I must be in a mood for historical romance. Having just finished Watch the Wall, My Darling (which was lots of fun) I've now started Joanna by Roberta Gellis. I read the first two books of this series back in March. Why have I waited so long to read Joanna?? I'd forgotten how good Gellis is. Her main characters are so likeable, and it's fun being able to hate King John.

JaneConsumer
Reader

Postby JaneConsumer » Sun August 31st, 2008, 10:18 pm

I've now started Joanna by Roberta Gellis.

I'd love to hear what you think of it. I read the first 2 books in the series too. I really liked them.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Sun August 31st, 2008, 10:56 pm

I've read the whole series, although I admit after Joanna they go a bit downhill -- still good just not as good as the first three. And King John is always fun to hate, isn't he?

Alaric
Avid Reader

Postby Alaric » Mon September 1st, 2008, 5:28 am

"The new Cold War: how the Kremlin threatens both Russia and the West," by Edward Lucas. (NF)

Mara
Scribbler

Postby Mara » Mon September 1st, 2008, 9:54 am

"whitelady3" wrote:I'm reading In the Company of the Courtesan by Sarah Dunant. ...

This has got to be one of my favourite novels. What do you think of it?

Reading The Hunt for Rob Roy by David Stevenson. Gets rid of all the whitewashed hero bits and digs into the real persona. Or so he says... Very interesting non-fiction read.

Melisende
Reader

Postby Melisende » Mon September 1st, 2008, 12:42 pm

Finished "Godiva" and now reading "Tamberlaine Must Die" by Louise Welsh
"For my part, I adhere to the maxim of antiquity: The throne is a glorious sepulchre."

Women of History

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Postby LCW » Mon September 1st, 2008, 3:15 pm

I tried to start reading The Book Thief while laying by the pool in Vegas this weekend but I only got @30 pages in. It's not really a nice beachy sort of read....at all! So I drank some Pina Colada's instead :D !! I'll start it back up now that I'm home. It seems intersting. I just hope I can get over the weird writing style. We'll see!
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: A Fractured Winter by Allison Bailliet
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favorite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Postby Vanessa » Mon September 1st, 2008, 4:16 pm

I really enjoyed The Book Thief, Lila. It is unusual having Death as the narrator, he saw everything in colours, didn't he? He had a bit of a warped sense of humour, if I remember. But I did find it a very moving book.

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Postby LCW » Mon September 1st, 2008, 4:54 pm

Yes, Death describes everything in colors. Very original! It could be really really good or something that's not for me. It's definitely got me intrigued so far.
Books to the ceiling,

Books to the sky,

My pile of books is a mile high.

How I love them! How I need them!

I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

Return to “Archives”