Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading?

Retired Threads
Leyland
Bibliophile

Postby Leyland » Mon October 27th, 2008, 2:51 pm

My mother handed me her copy of The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society earlier this morning and I made the mistake of reading the first few pages. I'm totally delighted at just page 23 with everyone I've 'met' so far. I'll now have to continue reading and ignore my current read-in-progress, Dagger Lane. I don't usually jump ship, but this is a wonderful story so far.

I'm on half-week vacation at my parents' home on the SC coast right now and have ended up with acute bronchitis following this terrible cold virus I've had for a week. Good thing they're avid readers too, no shortage of books here for this invalid. ;)
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Postby Tanzanite » Mon October 27th, 2008, 3:18 pm

Finished Gildenford (loved it!) and am now reading The King's Pleasure by Norah Lofts (about Katherine of Aragon).

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Mon October 27th, 2008, 3:27 pm

[QUOTE=Tanzanite;9883]Finished Gildenford (loved it!) QUOTE]

Isn't it a shame that book is not only out of print but hard to find at a reasonable price? I'm going to have to put the other two on the fast track of my TBR pile.

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Postby Tanzanite » Mon October 27th, 2008, 3:38 pm

I actually got the first two in the series for about $10 each and the last one for a whopping 99 cents (all through one of the online used book sites). But deals on these books seem to be the exception most of the time. I'm looking forward to reading the others - I'd put them up there with EC and Penman.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Mon October 27th, 2008, 4:17 pm

"Tanzanite" wrote:I actually got the first two in the series for about $10 each and the last one for a whopping 99 cents (all through one of the online used book sites). But deals on these books seem to be the exception most of the time. I'm looking forward to reading the others - I'd put them up there with EC and Penman.

She is good, but I wasn't too impressed with The House of Lanyon from last year. I've got her latest one ready to pick up at the library, I think it's set at the time of Henry VIII.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Postby diamondlil » Mon October 27th, 2008, 7:29 pm

Today I will be starting the Many Bloody Returns anthology which features short stories by Kelley Armstrong and others, and I will also be starting Marshmallows for Breakfast by Dorothy Koomson.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Postby Amanda » Tue October 28th, 2008, 1:45 am

I've just started The Book of Unholy Mischief by Elle Newmark. Which I believe was previously published as Bones of the Dead.

Will be finishing The Fiery Cross soon too, so scouting the shelves for the next one.

nona
Bibliophile

Postby nona » Tue October 28th, 2008, 1:56 am

I just finished Bathory: Memoirs of a Countess. Have you ever saw something so revolting but you could not look away?, this was it for me. At first I felt pitty for Elizabeth Bathory due to her parents and the most disturbing childhood I could imagine, However the farther I got into the 236 page book the less I felt sorry for her. All the sex and torture was sometimes more graphic then need be and somtimes the story needed more depth but overall it was good, not everbody would like it so be fore-warned.

I'm going to read The Heretic Queen next since it's ready for me again.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Tue October 28th, 2008, 3:55 am

Years ago I read a book written by a woman who was convinced her father killed The Black Dahlia and it was like a train wreck, I couldn't look away no matter how it disgusted it made me and it even made me terribly depressed, but I still finished it even though I knew I should've thrown it away for my health!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Postby Ash » Tue October 28th, 2008, 4:14 am

Now reading Edgar Sawtelle, not HF, but a book many have recommended to me. The fact that the protaganist is unable to speak, and communicates in sign language, has certainly increased my interest.

Return to “Archives”