Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading?

Retired Threads
chuck
Bibliophile

Postby chuck » Tue October 14th, 2008, 2:25 am

Just started reading a sequel by Margaret Laurence "Blood Red Roses" I'm really impressed with the author's knowledge of the 18th Century and the life and times in a small village in Maine..... She spins a dark and sinister tale of mystery....Great characters and vivid descriptions.....

Leyland
Bibliophile

Postby Leyland » Tue October 14th, 2008, 2:40 am

I've interrupted everything by reading Twilight over the weekend! My 13 y.o. niece had just finished it and had even bought New Moon a hundred pages before she finished Twilight, knowing she wouldn't want a minute break in between them. So I curiously peeked at Twilight which she let me bring home yesterday and I finished at 1:00 am last night. Now I've ordered the next three from Amazon and am eagerly awaiting them.

Yep, another convert. I'm sure I'll see the movie too, of course.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Postby annis » Tue October 14th, 2008, 3:07 am

Chuck, I was very impressed with Margaret Lawrence's "Hannah Trevor" books, which I read when they first came out. The quality of writing is excellent and you really get a feeling of the hardships and bitter divisiveness of life in Revolutionary America. She wrote another stand-alone novel about Hannah's daughter which is also very good and has a real haunting quality about it, "Iceweaver".
She has a book coming out early next year called "Roanoke" - I was starting to think that she'd given up writing.
It's described as a literary suspense novel about the lost colony of Roanoke and a charismatic spy sent to the Americas.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Two Houses by Fran Cooper
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favorite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Postby Vanessa » Tue October 14th, 2008, 7:30 am

The Volcano Lover by Susan Sontag. Anybody read this?
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Alaric
Avid Reader

Postby Alaric » Tue October 14th, 2008, 8:16 am

"Mr. Midshipman Hornblower," by C.S. Forester

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Postby diamondlil » Tue October 14th, 2008, 9:46 am

I am starting The Other Queen by Philippa Gregory today.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Laura
Reader

Postby Laura » Tue October 14th, 2008, 10:13 am

Harold the King by Helen Hollick

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Postby Divia » Tue October 14th, 2008, 11:14 am

"diamondlil" wrote:I am starting The Other Queen by Philippa Gregory today.

You have fun with that. ;) :p
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Postby diamondlil » Tue October 14th, 2008, 11:23 am

I am not taking another book with me tomorrow on the train so I will have three hours of reading time regardless of whether I like it or not.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Tue October 14th, 2008, 1:40 pm

"diamondlil" wrote:I am not taking another book with me tomorrow on the train so I will have three hours of reading time regardless of whether I like it or not.

LOL, talk about a captive audience. From what I've heard about it you should take a spare :)

Return to “Archives”