Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading?

Retired Threads
Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Tue October 7th, 2008, 8:56 pm

Mine just landed too. It's beautiful, and I'm very happy to see a list of characters and a couple of maps. Another hour until I can leave work and start it.......

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Postby LCW » Tue October 7th, 2008, 9:03 pm

I was impressed with the maps and character list too. I wish more authors would do that. Her Welsh trilogy really could've used a character list as I was lost sometimes keeping straight who was who and who was on which side, etc.

I must've been more exausted than I realized because I got all comfortable and ready to dig in for a few hours and suddenly I wake up in the middle of the night with the book on my chest. I had only gotten to page 30 :rolleyes: ! Oh well, tonight after the debate it's all about Devil's Brood!
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Postby Susan » Tue October 7th, 2008, 9:47 pm

"1lila1" wrote:Oh well, tonight after the debate it's all about Devil's Brood!

Wish I could say the same thing here on the east coast. I'll stay up to see the whole debate but it's over past my normal bedtime, so I won't be able to read.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Wed October 8th, 2008, 1:39 am

I finished "Flapper: A Madcap Story of Sex, Style, Celebrity, and the Women Who Made America Modern" by Joshua Zeitz (nonfiction). It was extremely interesting and very readable.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Survivors by Kate Furnivall & The Clockmaker’s Daughter by Kate Morton (Pigeonhole)
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favorite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Postby Vanessa » Wed October 8th, 2008, 11:29 am

Just started A Likeness by Sonia Overall. I'm not too sure about using italics instead of quotation marks when the characters are supposed to be speaking, but I suppose I will get used to it.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Carine
Compulsive Reader
Currently reading: Jonkvrouw - Jean-Claude Van Ryckeghem
Interest in HF: I love history
Favorite HF book: Can't pin that down to only 1 :-)
Preferred HF: Medieval, Tudor and Ancient Egyptian

Postby Carine » Thu October 9th, 2008, 6:11 am

I'm starting Shadows and Strongholds by our own EC tonight.

Lady Kippen
Scribbler

Postby Lady Kippen » Thu October 9th, 2008, 7:11 pm

Reading The Heretic's Daughter. Since we're getting closer to Halloween I thought I would go for something with a bit on the witchy side.

Laura
Reader

Postby Laura » Fri October 10th, 2008, 10:04 am

I hope to start Harold the King by Helen Hollick this week-end

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Fri October 10th, 2008, 12:55 pm

"Laura" wrote:I hope to start Harold the King by Helen Hollick this week-end

Hi Laura, nice to see you over here. I loved Harold the King, Hollick did a great job with Harold's story.

Laura
Reader

Postby Laura » Fri October 10th, 2008, 1:07 pm

Thanks Misfit, I noticed this site throughout your link at Goodreads...Concerning Hollick´s book, may I read it without reading A Hollow Crown?

Return to “Archives”