Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading?

Retired Threads
lama
Scribbler

Postby lama » Sun October 5th, 2008, 8:55 am

The Bone Garden sounds fantastic!

I'm reading Anarchist Voices, a collection of oral histories from anarchists, by Paul Avrich. Absolutely fascinating. It's also part of the research for my current novel.

http://www.lebutler.net

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Postby diamondlil » Sun October 5th, 2008, 9:27 am

I am just about to start reading The Time of Singing! Yay!
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Postby EC2 » Sun October 5th, 2008, 9:56 am

"Anita Davison" wrote:The Bone Garden by Tess Gerritsen

An forensic thriller set in 19th Century Boston.
All the best murder books are written by doctors!

I've never read Tess Gerritsen. Another one to add to my mental TBR :)
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Postby EC2 » Sun October 5th, 2008, 9:58 am

"Margaret" wrote:Wow, we have over 400 posts here already? This site is really going strong! I've just started reading Margaret George's Mary Called Magdalene. After a long streak of mostly medieval European settings, ancient Palestine is so different, and MG is great with the setting - I just read a brief passage about travelers gathering early figs from the trees along the road, which really brought the setting to life. I'm still only a few pages in.

Margaret I'll be interested to know how you get on with Mary Called Magdalene. I was asked to quote for it but didn't feel I could.
Les proz e les vassals

Souvent entre piez de chevals

Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

chuck
Bibliophile

Postby chuck » Sun October 5th, 2008, 4:14 pm

"lama" wrote:The Bone Garden sounds fantastic!

I'm reading Anarchist Voices, a collection of oral histories from anarchists, by Paul Avrich. Absolutely fascinating. It's also part of the research for my current novel.

http://www.lebutler.net

I read "The Bone Garden"...it was ok....a bit predictable.....Also have a strong bias regarding the author.....I read reviews about the book....then stumbled upon some nasty remarks from her regarding people who reviewed her books and did not give her a high grade....Reminded me another author who over reacted about so so reviews about her books.....I read it anyway....funny how a chip on your shoulder can influence your feelings for a book....Dr. Gerritsen needs to lighten up a bit.....
Last edited by chuck on Sun October 5th, 2008, 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spelling

alice
Reader

Postby alice » Sun October 5th, 2008, 4:44 pm

As usual, I've got a few books on the go.

Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy
Brighton Rock - Graham Greene
As Meat Loves Salt - Maria McCann

I'm enjoying them all.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Sun October 5th, 2008, 5:48 pm

Reminded me another author who over reacted about so so reviews about her books.....I read it anyway....funny how a chip on your shoulder can influence your feelings for a book....Dr. Gerritsen needs to lighten up a bit.....

That has become so common lately, author's do not realize what a bad impression that leaves for other readers.

I am reading The King's Touch by Jude Morgan.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Postby Ash » Sun October 5th, 2008, 7:30 pm

Not reading any HF just yet, but on Tuesday I am going to the bookstore to pick up my copy of Devil's Brood, as well as the new Louis de Benaries

But now, I am reading and enjoying Song for the Butcher's Daughter (not yet released), the new Kate Atkinson When will there be good times, and the new Marilyn Robinson Home. Something tells me they will all be put on hold for a few days after the 7th!

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Postby Amanda » Sun October 5th, 2008, 11:13 pm

I have just started Nefertiti. I just HAD to read this first before reading The Heretic Queen!

pixiedust
Scribbler

Postby pixiedust » Sun October 5th, 2008, 11:52 pm

Murder Most Royal

Return to “Archives”