Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading?

Retired Threads
Anita Davison
Scribbler

Postby Anita Davison » Fri October 3rd, 2008, 2:08 pm

The Bone Garden by Tess Gerritsen

An forensic thriller set in 19th Century Boston.
All the best murder books are written by doctors!
Anita Davison
Proofread carefully to see if you any words out ~ Unknown

nona
Bibliophile

Postby nona » Fri October 3rd, 2008, 3:05 pm

this week I had to work overtime so I'm really just getting into Shadows and Strongholds.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Fri October 3rd, 2008, 7:07 pm

I have just started The Time of Singing by Elizabeth Chadwick. Woohoo, October's finally here :D

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Postby LCW » Fri October 3rd, 2008, 7:35 pm

Thanks for the reminder, Misfit! I just ordered my copy from The Book Depository. Oct. is a great month! I've got Devil's Brood, Jewel of Medina, and now Time of Singing on Oct's TBR list!
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

Moseyer
Scribbler

Postby Moseyer » Sat October 4th, 2008, 1:43 am

I just read through almost every post in this thread--what an array of new authors I just got to stuff in my thick "Must Read" folder! Many I'd never heard of.

I'm re-reading Ben Ames Williams's Come Spring, a fictionalized account of the founding of Union, Maine, in the 1770s.
Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment. Anonymous

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Sat October 4th, 2008, 1:45 am

You read nearly over 400 posts? You are brave!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

Moseyer
Scribbler

Postby Moseyer » Sat October 4th, 2008, 1:54 am

Well, I skipped a couple of pages, but I did read most--just can't help myself! I'm a genuine book addict :D
Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment. Anonymous

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Sat October 4th, 2008, 1:59 am

"Moseyer" wrote:Well, I skipped a couple of pages, but I did read most--just can't help myself! I'm a genuine book addict :D

We all understand!

At Booksfree.com (my paperback service like Netflix) I'll look up certain words and will look through hundreds of titles to try to find stuff I'm interested in.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

JMJacobsen
Reader

Postby JMJacobsen » Sat October 4th, 2008, 10:38 pm

Just finished To Siberia, by Per Petterson and Requiem for the Author of Frankenstein, by Molly Dwyer. Now I fully intend to escape back to ancient Egypt and relish The Heretic Queen.

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favorite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Postby Margaret » Sat October 4th, 2008, 11:42 pm

Wow, we have over 400 posts here already? This site is really going strong! I've just started reading Margaret George's Mary Called Magdalene. After a long streak of mostly medieval European settings, ancient Palestine is so different, and MG is great with the setting - I just read a brief passage about travelers gathering early figs from the trees along the road, which really brought the setting to life. I'm still only a few pages in.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Return to “Archives”