Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading?

Retired Threads
Ash
Bibliomaniac

Postby Ash » Tue September 23rd, 2008, 1:38 pm

"annis" wrote:I believe that the "Captain Alastriste" movie loses something in translation as well, though as I don't speak Spanish I can't comment on that personally.

That's too bad, tho Im not surprised. Good adaptations are rare. I loved that book, and his next two (didn't care for the last one tho)
Last edited by Ash on Tue September 23rd, 2008, 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Carla
Compulsive Reader

Postby Carla » Tue September 23rd, 2008, 2:48 pm

Just finishing Daughter of York by Anne Easter Smith
PATHS OF EXILE - love, war, honour and betrayal in Anglo-Saxon Northumbria
Editor's Choice, Historical Novels Review, August 2009
Now available as e-book on Amazon Kindleand in Kindle, Epub (Nook, Sony Reader), Palm and other formats on Smashwords
Blog: http://carlanayland.blogspot.com

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Postby cw gortner » Tue September 23rd, 2008, 5:05 pm

"annis" wrote:I believe that the "Captain Alastriste" movie loses something in translation as well, though as I don't speak Spanish I can't comment on that personally. In fact, I have you to thank for alerting me to the fact that there was a "Captain Alatriste' movie- i saw it mentioned on your Historical Boys blog.
Viggo Mortensen is one of my favorites, and it's not a movie that's had much of a showing - I had to buy the DVD so I could see it (in English!)

Did you buy it in the US? I've had a terrible time trying to find it with US zoning so I can view it. I don't think Viggo speaks Spanish, so I've been curious to find out if he was dubbed.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Postby EC2 » Tue September 23rd, 2008, 5:10 pm

"cw gortner" wrote:Did you buy it in the US? I've had a terrible time trying to find it with US zoning so I can view it. I don't think Viggo speaks Spanish, so I've been curious to find out if he was dubbed.

I had a Viggo Mortensen 'thing' for a while after Lord of the Rings and I can say that he speaks fluent Spanish - took it at Uni. He used to live in South America and is bi-lingual. I think the movie is in Spanish and I'd like to see it at some point - although I am now well over my Viggo moment :)
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Leyland
Bibliophile

Postby Leyland » Tue September 23rd, 2008, 5:59 pm

"EC2" wrote:- although I am now well over my Viggo moment :)

I have a feeling you'd get it back after watching Eastern Promises, especially the knife fight scene! ;) It's a very gritty movie and the lead cast does an outstanding job. I'm not sure how realistic it is, though.

As to Perez-Reverte, I've gotten sidetracked lately by socializing the very skittish Guinness the pup (very little was done by the breeder) and pulling up blackberry bramble roots (who knew they spread out so much) and moving stuff around from room to room for the carpenter who is replacing all my carpet with hardwood! I also have Reverte's Queen of the South and an Alatriste TBR as well.

I really like his style and would love to be able to read his novels in Spanish.

Leyland
Bibliophile

Postby Leyland » Tue September 23rd, 2008, 6:10 pm

"cw gortner" wrote:I really enjoyed that novel! But I loved his second one, DUCHESS OF MILAN, about the Este sisters - a subject also covered brilliantly by Karen Essex in LEONARDO'S SWANS, one of my favorites.

I've read Duchess of Milan a couple times and really enjoyed it as it was my intro to the d'Este, Sforza, et al. I read halfway through Essex's Swans and never finished. I got distracted and just never got back into it, but do want to finish one day since I contunue to read such good comments about it.

I'd like to read Ennis' Byzantium. The used hardback I bought last year for a dollar was in terrible shape and falling apart, so I need to replace it. I am just too picky about pages falling out!
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Postby cw gortner » Tue September 23rd, 2008, 6:23 pm

"EC2" wrote:I had a Viggo Mortensen 'thing' for a while after Lord of the Rings and I can say that he speaks fluent Spanish - took it at Uni. He used to live in South America and is bi-lingual. I think the movie is in Spanish and I'd like to see it at some point - although I am now well over my Viggo moment :)

Oh, wow. I had no idea. Very cool. Viggo's hot - and he speaks Spanish :cool:

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Postby cw gortner » Tue September 23rd, 2008, 6:28 pm

"Leyland" wrote:I've read Duchess of Milan a couple times and really enjoyed it as it was my intro to the d'Este, Sforza, et al. I read halfway through Essex's Swans and never finished. I got distracted and just never got back into it, but do want to finish one day since I contunue to read such good comments about it.

I'd like to read Ennis' Byzantium. The used hardback I bought last year for a dollar was in terrible shape and falling apart, so I need to replace it. I am just too picky about pages falling out!

Yes, that happened to my paperback, too - right in the middle of reading it. I went online and eventually found a hardcover, in great shape. First edition for $10. Amazing.

LEONARDO'S SWANS is excellent, so I hope you'll find a moment to get back into it. Having read Ennis's DUCHESS years before, I was curious to see how different authors approached the same subject matter and I think they both did a terrific and unique job.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Postby EC2 » Tue September 23rd, 2008, 7:03 pm

"Leyland" wrote:I have a feeling you'd get it back after watching Eastern Promises, especially the knife fight scene! ;) It's a very gritty movie and the lead cast does an outstanding job. I'm not sure how realistic it is, though.

As to Perez-Reverte, I've gotten sidetracked lately by socializing the very skittish Guinness the pup (very little was done by the breeder) and pulling up blackberry bramble roots (who knew they spread out so much) and moving stuff around from room to room for the carpenter who is replacing all my carpet with hardwood! I also have Reverte's Queen of the South and an Alatriste TBR as well.

I really like his style and would love to be able to read his novels in Spanish.

I haven't gone off Viggo quite so much as simmered down :)
I've decided to give The King's Gold another chance after C.W. yourself and others have said how good Reverte is. I'm now 25 pages in. It's better than when I read it on the bus but it's still taking some getting used to seeing Alatriste through the eyes of Inigo - so far. It's a detached viewpoint. I don't know if this will continue. There have been some interesting and humorours lines.
Good luck with pup, roots and carpenter!
Les proz e les vassals

Souvent entre piez de chevals

Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Leyland
Bibliophile

Postby Leyland » Tue September 23rd, 2008, 7:22 pm

"EC2" wrote:Good luck with pup, roots and carpenter!

I should be reading Identifying and Avoiding Varieties of Poison Ivy or something like it, because I thought I knew what it looked like. Guess not - a rash is creeping up my right arm from the underside of my wrist. Or maybe the pup ran through it and then I picked him up. I really need a good fauna guide for working in my woods. I have an electric chainsaw and intend to use it to rid myself of pesky saplings. :p

And good to hear you're not giving up on Reverte, EC! By the way, I checked out the Viggo Alatriste movie at Amazon and sure hope it becomes available as a non-import DVD soon. I wouldn't mind having the movie poster though - he is hot as Alatriste...

Return to “Archives”