Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading?

Retired Threads
Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Postby Amanda » Sun September 21st, 2008, 5:58 am

I just started reading Clean & Decent: The Fascinating History of the Bathroom and the Watercloset by Lawrence Wright. Its got a lot of interesting snippets, but some of them leave you wanting more. According to the authors preface, the book was suggested after he put together a display on the history of bathrooms. So the book kind of still reads a bit like a brief summary that you would see in an exhibition catalogue. Its got lots of pictures too, black and white sketch style ones (it is a Penguin classics edition)

I am reading this one now, as a few months ago I listened (BBC radio 4) to an abridged version of a book by Katherine Ashenburg, called The Dirt on Clean (IRC). It was very interesting and I am planning on adding it to the TBR pile. Then I remember I already had this other one.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Sun September 21st, 2008, 12:41 pm

"Telynor" wrote:I think we're going to have to form an EC support group after october to get us through to the next novel.

:p :o :)

Once you've read them all, trust me its a long long wait until the next one. After I finished APBC last year none of the other books on the pile would do, I finally had to pick up Shadows and Strongholds for a reread. I'm just hoping Time of Singing and Devil's Brood don't show up at the same time.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Postby EC2 » Sun September 21st, 2008, 1:52 pm

"Amanda" wrote:I just started reading Clean & Decent: The Fascinating History of the Bathroom and the Watercloset by Lawrence Wright. Its got a lot of interesting snippets, but some of them leave you wanting more. According to the authors preface, the book was suggested after he put together a display on the history of bathrooms. So the book kind of still reads a bit like a brief summary that you would see in an exhibition catalogue. Its got lots of pictures too, black and white sketch style ones (it is a Penguin classics edition)

I am reading this one now, as a few months ago I listened (BBC radio 4) to an abridged version of a book by Katherine Ashenburg, called The Dirt on Clean (IRC). It was very interesting and I am planning on adding it to the TBR pile. Then I remember I already had this other one.

Sounds interesting Amanda. I love poking around in stuff like this (figuratively speaking!). There's a terrific book called Food in England by Dorothy Hartley which is a real hotch potch of old lore. Among other things it tells you with diagrams how to build your own cess pit!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Postby EC2 » Sun September 21st, 2008, 1:56 pm

"Misfit" wrote: :p :o :)

Once you've read them all, trust me its a long long wait until the next one. After I finished APBC last year none of the other books on the pile would do, I finally had to pick up Shadows and Strongholds for a reread. I'm just hoping Time of Singing and Devil's Brood don't show up at the same time.

Time of Singing has been put back until October 16th :eek: due to admin stuff at Little Brown. The books actually cover a lot of the same period in history (TTOS and DB) but from very different perspectives.
Les proz e les vassals

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Sun September 21st, 2008, 2:15 pm

"EC2" wrote:Time of Singing has been put back until October 16th :eek: due to admin stuff at Little Brown. The books actually cover a lot of the same period in history (TTOS and DB) but from very different perspectives.

Crap. They will arrive at the same time now. Might have to flip a coin which one to read first. :o

Kailana
Reader

Postby Kailana » Sun September 21st, 2008, 4:37 pm

"Amanda" wrote:I just started reading Clean & Decent: The Fascinating History of the Bathroom and the Watercloset by Lawrence Wright. Its got a lot of interesting snippets, but some of them leave you wanting more. According to the authors preface, the book was suggested after he put together a display on the history of bathrooms. So the book kind of still reads a bit like a brief summary that you would see in an exhibition catalogue. Its got lots of pictures too, black and white sketch style ones (it is a Penguin classics edition)

I own the Katherine Ashenburg book, but I haven't read it yet! Not surprising, really...

Leyland
Bibliophile

Postby Leyland » Sun September 21st, 2008, 7:01 pm

I've just started reading The Nautical Chart by Arturo Perez-Reverte. It's been TBR for so very long.

Telynor
Bibliophile

Postby Telynor » Sun September 21st, 2008, 7:16 pm

A modern mystery novel, The Burnt House by Faye Kellerman. After that one, I think it will be another David Liss novel.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Postby EC2 » Sun September 21st, 2008, 8:07 pm

"Leyland" wrote:I've just started reading The Nautical Chart by Arturo Perez-Reverte. It's been TBR for so very long.

Leyland, let me know how you go on. I've got The King's Gold on my TBR. I started reading it on the bus on the way home from the library but I found it as dull as ditchwater over the first few pages. All tell and no show.
Les proz e les vassals

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Sun September 21st, 2008, 9:58 pm

This Shining Land by Rosalind Laker, and very very different from her usual style.

Return to “Archives”