Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading?

Retired Threads
JaneConsumer
Reader

Postby JaneConsumer » Sat September 20th, 2008, 6:20 pm

Well, I abandoned Restoration pretty quickly. In chapter 2, Charles II starts going down on one of his mistresses while the narrator describes her feminine parts in coarse modern terms. Do you hear the book hitting the wall?

Now on to Penmarric by Susan Howatch.

JMJacobsen
Reader

Postby JMJacobsen » Sat September 20th, 2008, 6:22 pm

"JaneConsumer" wrote:Well, I abandoned Restoration pretty quickly. In chapter 2, Charles II starts going down on one of his mistresses while the narrator describes her feminine parts in coarse modern terms. Do you hear the book hitting the wall?

Oh dear....I wondered what that loud noise was. :eek:

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Postby LCW » Sat September 20th, 2008, 6:25 pm

"JaneConsumer" wrote:Well, I abandoned Restoration pretty quickly. In chapter 2, Charles II starts going down on one of his mistresses while the narrator describes her feminine parts in coarse modern terms. Do you hear the book hitting the wall?

:eek: Eeeew!!!
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Sat September 20th, 2008, 6:32 pm

That's a shame, cause I love the movie, which is no where near as coarse as you say the book is.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

annis
Bibliomaniac

Postby annis » Sat September 20th, 2008, 6:33 pm

I've just been reading another book about Charles II, Jane, Georgette Heyer's "Royal Escape", which is set in the period when the young Charles, having suffered defeat at the 1651 Battle of Worcester, is hunted by Parliamentary forces while on a desperate race to reach the coast and a ship heading to the safety of France.
I thoroughly enjoyed it. The story has plenty of tension and many well-drawn characters. Charles himself is a wonderful creation - a person worthy of love and respect. He's already become cynical and rather embittered by his experiences, but is high-hearted, generous of spirit, brave and full of a reckless charm. You could absolutely see why so many people would put themselves at risk by helping him. And there's no sex at all!

Telynor
Bibliophile

Postby Telynor » Sat September 20th, 2008, 6:42 pm

"JMJacobsen" wrote:Oh dear....I wondered what that loud noise was. :eek:

Heard it as well. Reading Pomegranate Soup and enjoying it very much. Reading Dervla's commentary on the locals had me laughing.

donroc
Compulsive Reader

Postby donroc » Sat September 20th, 2008, 6:50 pm

It is what I am not reading that bothers me ... up to a point.

Doing historical research to guarantee accuracy for a HF WIP is time consuming as you all know, often more in the hunt for sources than in the reading.
User signature picture

Bodo the Apostate, a novel set during the reign of Louis the Pious and end of the Carolingian Empire.

http://www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6OtI&feature=channel_page

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Postby EC2 » Sat September 20th, 2008, 7:33 pm

Just finished The Queen's Fool by Philippa Gregory. Not quite 'meh' but very close. I really need something to whoosh me out of the reading blahs now so I'm going to re-read Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (been re-reading the series slowly for a while). I considered a Robert Crais thriller for a moment, but I feel like a bit of magic and fantasy.
Research reading = re-reads too. Sidney Painter's The Reign of King John and J.C. Holt's The Northerners.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Postby Divia » Sat September 20th, 2008, 8:51 pm

My library told me my copy of The Other Queen was ready so I'm 13 pages into that.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Lady of the Forest
Scribbler

Postby Lady of the Forest » Sun September 21st, 2008, 1:31 am

People of the Earth book three in the Gear Prehistorica North America books. I find them to be interesting reads, though they are nothing to wow you, I like them and find them entertaining. And I think this one is the best one yet that I have read.
User signature picture
Ordinary morality is for ordinary people

Return to “Archives”