Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading?

Retired Threads
Virgulina
Scribbler

Postby Virgulina » Fri September 19th, 2008, 6:53 pm

"nona" wrote:I have a friend who keeps trying to get me to read JR Ward books, is he a really good author, she seems to think so. The covers through me off, yes I admit it I judge by covers sometimes.

You have to like paranormals to get into these books, they're not great works of art but they're really fun, I consider them my mind candy. ;) Be warned that you'll encounter vampires and other creatures and some graphic scenes, if you're not into the genre maybe she's not the author for you.

nona
Bibliophile

Postby nona » Fri September 19th, 2008, 7:12 pm

I don't mind vampires or such, I used to be a huge fan of anne rice, own all her books except the last book of the vampire chronicles. but they seem avg by the cover so I'm reluctant to read them for now, but maybe it'll change

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Postby diamondlil » Fri September 19th, 2008, 9:05 pm

"nona" wrote:I have a friend who keeps trying to get me to read JR Ward books, is he a really good author, she seems to think so. The covers through me off, yes I admit it I judge by covers sometimes.

If you like hot and sexy vampires, absurd names, and sometimes lacklustre writing then give them ago. What I will say for JR Ward is that she does know how to write really good stories, and they are very addictive! The early books in the series are very much romance focussed, but from what I can tell the last book in the series has more of an urban fantasy feel.

Yesterday I finished reading The Running Vixen by Elizabeth Chadwick. I am not sure what I am going to start next. Maybe Flashman by George Macdonald Fraser and the Dragon or Counting the Stars by Helen Dunmore.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

JaneConsumer
Reader

Postby JaneConsumer » Fri September 19th, 2008, 9:12 pm

I'm reading Restoration by Rose Tremain. Still listening to The Last Queen by C.W. Gortner when I drive.

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Postby Tanzanite » Fri September 19th, 2008, 10:58 pm

The Seventh Son by Reay Tannahill

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Postby Tanzanite » Fri September 19th, 2008, 11:00 pm

"Margaret" wrote:To Kill a Mockingbird is a beautiful book. It's status as a classic is well deserved.

I agree 100%!

nona
Bibliophile

Postby nona » Sat September 20th, 2008, 3:00 am

finished Border Lass. I'm thinking of reading A Rose for the Crown, The Last Wife of Henry VII or The First Princess, anyone have a suggestion?

Telynor
Bibliophile

Postby Telynor » Sat September 20th, 2008, 4:06 am

Finished The Heretic Queen, and now moving onward to Pomegranate Soup.

JMJacobsen
Reader

Postby JMJacobsen » Sat September 20th, 2008, 4:11 am

Finished up The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. In honor of National Talk Like a Pirate Day, I started in on Alan Gold's The Pirate Queen. :D
Last edited by JMJacobsen on Sat September 20th, 2008, 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: can't spell properly with a baby sleeping in my lap.

Kailana
Reader

Postby Kailana » Sat September 20th, 2008, 5:30 pm

The Terror by Dan Simmons

Return to “Archives”