Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading?

Retired Threads
Ash
Bibliomaniac

Postby Ash » Fri September 19th, 2008, 12:32 am

"Telynor" wrote: One fascinating book I read was A Drizzle of Honey, that was taken from Inquisition accounts in Portugal and Spain, and not just that, but also recipes. Really helped me to figure out the period and setting, along with some mouthwatering cookery. One of the best books on Judaism that I've come across is the new edition of Jewish Literacy by Rabbi Joseph Telushkin, who not only can write very well, but also can convey some very complicated ideas into a very understandable format for both Jews and non-Jews. His other books are excellent as well -- I found Words that Hurt, Words that Heal one of the best books on the role of forgiveness and compassion in society.

I don't know as much about the Marranos as I should, so thanks for that recommendation. And if you liked the last book, read Sunflowers - on the possiblities and limits of forgiveness, by Simon Wiesenthal, which is an entire collection of essays by famous people on the role of forgiveness. Beautifully written, with much to consider.

BTW someone (Teylnor?) mentioned anti semitism in books. If the author has a character being antisemitic, it doesn't surprise me because so much of the time, that attitude was pervasive in the society of the time and place. But I agree, if the author herself is making anti semitic descriptions, then I'd have a problem. That being said - what do you do with an author like Irene Nimrovsky, the famous writer of Suite Francaise who died in Aushwitz, and who was a convert and often wrote anti semitic segments of her books?
Last edited by Ash on Fri September 19th, 2008, 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Fri September 19th, 2008, 6:38 am

I finished "Christietown: About Vintage Clothing, Romance, Mystery, and Agatha Christie" by Susan Kandel, 4th and currently last ind her Cece Caruso Mysteries. I always enjoy her books and they're always fast reads. I hope that they'll be more.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

Virgulina
Scribbler

Postby Virgulina » Fri September 19th, 2008, 11:13 am

Lover Eternal by J.R. Ward.

Ana

nona
Bibliophile

Postby nona » Fri September 19th, 2008, 12:45 pm

I have a friend who keeps trying to get me to read JR Ward books, is he a really good author, she seems to think so. The covers through me off, yes I admit it I judge by covers sometimes.

Leyland
Bibliophile

Postby Leyland » Fri September 19th, 2008, 3:08 pm

Just started The Wild Hunt by Elizabeth Chadwick. Love the Welsh marcher setting.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Year That Changed Everything by Cathy Kelly
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favorite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Postby Vanessa » Fri September 19th, 2008, 3:48 pm

I'm reading an old classic, To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Spitfire
Reader

Postby Spitfire » Fri September 19th, 2008, 4:04 pm

"Vanessa" wrote:I'm reading an old classic, To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee.

Tell me how you like it. I have always looked at that book and then ended up not reading it. I haven't even seen the movie! :eek:
Only the pure of heart can make good soup. - Beethoven

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favorite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Postby Margaret » Fri September 19th, 2008, 5:14 pm

To Kill a Mockingbird is a beautiful book. It's status as a classic is well deserved.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings and over 650 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Fri September 19th, 2008, 5:51 pm

I read "Mockingbird" in high school, our teacher reminded us a lot of Scout that we'd call her that now and then.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

chuck
Bibliophile

Postby chuck » Fri September 19th, 2008, 6:00 pm

"Margaret" wrote:To Kill a Mockingbird is a beautiful book. It's status as a classic is well deserved.

I concur Margaret.....Harper Lee has always intrigued me....So talented and respected....yet never another novel?........and she was Truman Capote's closest friend.....That would be a interesting book in itself.....BTW The film TKAM is beautifully done....Gregory Peck is Atticus Finch.....

Return to “Archives”