Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading?

Retired Threads
EC2
Bibliomaniac

Postby EC2 » Tue September 9th, 2008, 7:52 pm

Labyrinth was a DNF for me. The heroine was of the Too Stupid To Live variety - IMO and the medieval parts were completely wrong re tone and research. They might as well have been modern day people in fancy dress. But that's just my opinion. Millions of people have bought this novel. I borrowed it from the library thank goodness!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

whitelady3
Scribbler

Postby whitelady3 » Tue September 9th, 2008, 9:38 pm

I've finished In the Company of the Courtesan and now I'll pick up the North and South trilogy by John Jakes.

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Postby sweetpotatoboy » Tue September 9th, 2008, 9:48 pm

"JaneConsumer" wrote:I bagged An Arrow's Flight by Mark Merlis. It's touted as a new HF style, but it shouted anachronism from page 1 to me.

I've read that one (though my copy was published as Pyrrhus, but it's the same book). It is certainly unusual but I found it was worth sticking with. It's definitely not a historical novel as such and shouldn't be described as such. It's quite inventive - taking the story of Achilles' son Pyrrhus also known as Neoptolemus but in part telling it as a modern-day gay novel. You're never really sure which world you're inhabiting, that of ancient Greece or that of a modern-day gay resort. Pyrrhus is part ancient Greek prince, part go-go boy/hustler.
Unusual, but I found it entertaining. But it certainly wouldn't be for everyone.

JaneConsumer
Reader

Postby JaneConsumer » Tue September 9th, 2008, 11:03 pm

I've read that one (though my copy was published as Pyrrhus, but it's the same book). It is certainly unusual but I found it was worth sticking with.

I'll agree it's unusual. I just couldn't get past Pyrrhus gyrating on the counter top of the bar while his roommate alternated between pining for him and realizing he was pining for him. Just not my cup of tea.

I still don't understand why it's marketed as historical fiction. If there's a subliminal message of a sort that ties the names of the characters to their counterparts in history, it was lost on me.

Kailana
Reader

Postby Kailana » Tue September 9th, 2008, 11:53 pm

I am having the worst luck with historical fiction this year! I keep picking them up and putting them down because they are not capturing my attention. It's terrible! I think I need a good battle novel... Something that starts with a lot of action... It is just no the year for me and historical fiction it seems.

Judith
Scribbler

Postby Judith » Wed September 10th, 2008, 12:24 am

Currently reading Smoke Screen by Sandra Brown. Waiting patiently for next Tuesday so I can go get The Heretic Queen. :D

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Wed September 10th, 2008, 2:27 am

Sigh, I was trying to read "Mr Darcy Presents His Bride" by Helen Halstead, but I just couldn't get into it! This is the first P&P sequel that just didn't hold my attention. So I guess it's being "wallbanged" which is a shame cause I had been wanting to read it for awhile, what a pity!

SM
Last edited by SonjaMarie on Wed September 10th, 2008, 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Postby Ash » Wed September 10th, 2008, 4:35 am

My copy of Olivia and Jai just arrived; yikes this thing is huge! Not sure I'll be reading it quite yet, looks like a long weekend kinda read!

Right now Im re-reading The Proud Tower by Barbara Tuchman, her non-fiction look at the 20 years before WWI, and what lead up to that war. I first read it with little knowledge about WWI, and now that I have more, its interesting to reread and pick up on things I missed. Im wanting to read the next Marshall book by EC, so I may just wait till it shows up before starting something else.

Carine
Compulsive Reader
Currently reading: Jonkvrouw - Jean-Claude Van Ryckeghem
Interest in HF: I love history
Favorite HF book: Can't pin that down to only 1 :-)
Preferred HF: Medieval, Tudor and Ancient Egyptian

Postby Carine » Wed September 10th, 2008, 5:54 am

I'm reading Dublin by Edward Rutherfurd at the moment. Sometimes it's good and sometimes less good ...

Lady of the Forest
Scribbler

Postby Lady of the Forest » Wed September 10th, 2008, 7:18 am

Just about to finnish Water For Elephants. I have found it to be really very interesting and captivating. It is a good book.
User signature picture
Ordinary morality is for ordinary people

Return to “Archives”