Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading?

Retired Threads
JaneConsumer
Reader

Postby JaneConsumer » Tue September 9th, 2008, 11:08 am

I've started Daughters of the Grail. Not too sure about this one

I liked this one. Not as much as the William Marshal duo, but not too much can measure up to him, right? :rolleyes:

I'm reading an ARC of C.C. Humphrey's "Vlad: The Last Confession" about the historical Dracula.

Sounds good. Will you be reviewing it?

I bagged An Arrow's Flight by Mark Merlis. It's touted as a new HF style, but it shouted anachronism from page 1 to me.

I'm listening to and enjoying the Audible.com recording of The Last Queen by C.W. Gortner. I'm reading An Instance of the Fingerpost by Iain Pears.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Tue September 9th, 2008, 1:32 pm

I'm reading an ARC of C.C. Humphrey's "Vlad: The Last Confession" about the historical Dracula.

I saw a segment on Vlad recently on the travel channel. Very interesting stuff, I'll be interested in checking out the book.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Postby EC2 » Tue September 9th, 2008, 1:43 pm

Just started The Queen's Fool by PG. Goodness, those opening few pages were a bit hot to accompany my lunchtime cheese sandwich - phew!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

ellenjane
Reader

Postby ellenjane » Tue September 9th, 2008, 7:13 pm

I'm currently reading "Sepulchre," by Kate Mosse. It seems to be very similar to her novel "Labyrinth," but with the parts put together in a slightly different way. There's a layer of historical narrative (circa 1890) added between the ancient happenings and the modern storyline, and there's a heavy Gothic overtone. If I had a beach to go to, I would be happy to have this book along with me - it's that sort of read.

I listen to a lot of books on my iPod, and I'm currently listening to "Middlesex," by Jeffrey Eugenides. What a great novel! I had a hard time explaining what it's about to my husband - It's about a hermaphrodite, sort of. And a Greek family epic. And America in the 20th century. And all sorts of other things. (I don't think that hermaphrodite is quite the right word to use. I don't want to be ignorant, but I'm not sure what the correct term is.)

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Tue September 9th, 2008, 7:21 pm

I added "Labyrinth" to my BF queue, was it worth reading?

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

ellenjane
Reader

Postby ellenjane » Tue September 9th, 2008, 7:30 pm

Well, I think Misfit has it on the wallbanger list!

I did enjoy it enough to pick up Mosse's second novel, but with the expectation that the history probably isn't going to be reliable and the writing isn't wonderful. It's a good story with suspense and action, though, and that's sometimes all you want. I think that "Labyrinth" suffered from a lot of hype when it was published - I remember hearing it billed as "the thinking man's Da Vinci Code," and it didn't quite live up to all of it. So, I think it's worth reading, but I'd check it out of the library rather than buying it.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Tue September 9th, 2008, 7:40 pm

"SonjaMarie" wrote:I added "Labyrinth" to my BF queue, was it worth reading?

SM

ellenjane is correct it's on the list. Very soso -- but check with EC I seem to recall she's got a few things to say about how life was depicted in the book. One other thought, check out the reader reviews at Amazon UK where the brits are maybe a bit more knowledgeable about the period. I don't recall anytime seeing one and two star reviews taking up the three spotlights.

SM, I'd take ellenjane's advice and get it from the lib. King County does have a branch on Vashon -- have you used them? The book catalogue is quite extensive and you place your hold on line and no matter which branch in the county the book is at it comes to you to pick up. I've had good success with the inter-library loans as well. I'v had books from the other side of the country!
Last edited by Misfit on Tue September 9th, 2008, 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maggie
Reader

Postby Maggie » Tue September 9th, 2008, 7:44 pm

I just finished Twilight by Stephenie Meyer. Now I'm reading Can't Wait to Get to Heaven by Fannie Flagg.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Tue September 9th, 2008, 7:47 pm

"Misfit" wrote:ellenjane is correct it's on the list. Very soso -- but check with EC I seem to recall she's got a few things to say about how life was depicted in the book. One other thought, check out the reader reviews at Amazon UK where the brits are maybe a bit more knowledgeable about the period. I don't recall anytime seeing one and two star reviews taking up the three spotlights.

I think I'll skip it, life is too short to read soso or bad books!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Tue September 9th, 2008, 7:50 pm

"SonjaMarie" wrote:I think I'll skip it, life is too short to read soso or bad books!

SM

Looks like we crossed posts while I was editing mine:

SM, I'd take ellenjane's advice and get it from the lib. King County does have a branch on Vashon -- have you used them? The book catalogue is quite extensive and you place your hold on line and no matter which branch in the county the book is at it comes to you to pick up. I've had good success with the inter-library loans as well. I'v had books from the other side of the country!

Return to “Archives”