Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading?

Retired Threads
boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Postby boswellbaxter » Wed December 17th, 2008, 7:25 pm

Having virtuously turned in my reports of some books I was reviewing, I'm rewarding myself with a read of David Starkey's bio of the young Henry VIII, Henry: Virtuous Prince. Also trying to decide what HF to pull off the pile next!
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Postby Susan » Wed December 17th, 2008, 10:14 pm

"boswellbaxter" wrote: Also trying to decide what HF to pull off the pile next!

I'm about to make the same decision and I have no idea what to choose!
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Caveowl
Scribbler

The Far Pavillions

Postby Caveowl » Wed December 17th, 2008, 11:29 pm

at a scene where a couple of senior British officers are discussing the behavior of Ash regarding Belinda, giving the advice that he should go to Kashmir " ... which would do him a deal more good than poodle-faking at tea-parties."

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Postby EC2 » Wed December 17th, 2008, 11:58 pm

Just finished Barbara Erskine's Daughters of Fire. Enjoyable in the usual Erskine style - but a bit whoah! in the early stages as her characters have a lot in common with the way I research. Fortunately the ending is nothing like anything that's ever happened to me! The story of Cartamandua, British tribal queen who threw in her lot with the Romans. Her story is told through modern day interraction with people who pick up her vibes. But there is also the evil Maedb to contend with who's been stalking Carta through the ages, and Venutious, Carta's consort with whom Carta has a very troubled relationship. It's a big book and due to one thing and another I've had no time for reading, but have finally read the last words this evening. I have a loads of stuff waiting for next up. Lords of the Bow by Conn Igguldon is winking from my TBR, but so is Gatty's Tale by Kevin Crossley Holland...or I could go non historical and read Katie Fforde's Going Dutch.... Sigh.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Thu December 18th, 2008, 1:36 am

Barbara Erskine can be a lot of fun when you get the right book, but get the wrong one......

My forced incarceration is taking it's toll. I've wall banged (for now) Diana Norman's The Sparks Fly Upward and Laker's The Golden Tulip. Nothing else appeals, so I'm going for a reread on a Chadwick (that always works). Lords of the White Castle.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Thu December 18th, 2008, 6:51 am

I've finished "Travels With A Medieval Queen: The Journey of A Sicilian Princess" by Mary Taylor Simeti. Not quite a historical biography about Constance, Empress of Henry VI, the Holy Roman Emperor and mother of Frederick II, more a travelouge with history thrown in, with a little bit of imagination when there are not real facts for the author to use (she creates a nurse and a female doctor, yes they existed at the time, based on what was known of the period). Despite that, I did enjoy this book.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Postby Kasthu » Thu December 18th, 2008, 5:39 pm

I'm now in 1837 England and France with A Foreign Affair. It started out slowly and a bit confusing, but the more I read, the more into it I'm becoming.

ellenjane
Reader

Postby ellenjane » Thu December 18th, 2008, 6:46 pm

I'm working on the Wilderness series by Sara Donati, and am really enjoying it. I'm on the second one now (Dawn on a Distant Shore), and one of the blurbs on the books says that it's perfect reading for a cold winter night. That's right on - curling up in my flannel sheets with one of these books has been a nice escape.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Postby diamondlil » Thu December 18th, 2008, 7:25 pm

I enjoy that series, although DoaDS is probably my least favourite book in the series.

I am now reading The Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Thu December 18th, 2008, 8:24 pm

I've finished "The Short and Bloody History of Knights, Spies, and Pirates" by John Farman.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

Return to “Archives”