Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Book shopping today ...

Retired Threads
Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Road To Newgate by Kate Braithwaite & Darling Blue by Tracy Rees (Pigeonhole)
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favorite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Postby Vanessa » Tue June 16th, 2009, 7:21 am

A freebie from Harper Collins for filling in a survey - Endal (A True Story) by Allen and Sandra Parton.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

annis
Bibliomaniac

Postby annis » Tue June 16th, 2009, 8:21 am

YAy, just received the latest Joe Abercrombie, "Best Served Cold". Love Abercrombie's black humour.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Tue June 16th, 2009, 5:23 pm

NF: "Inside Oscar, Revised Edition" by Mason Wiley et al.
NF: "Coronation: From the 8th to the 21st Century" by Roy Strong
NF: "A Mind of Its Own: A Cultural History of the Penis" by David M. Friedman

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Postby boswellbaxter » Tue June 16th, 2009, 6:10 pm

Got Coronation: From the 8th to the 21st Century by Roy Strong and the catalog by David Starkey and Susan Doran for Henry VIII: Man and Monarch today. Both books are gorgeously illustrated.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Tue June 16th, 2009, 6:21 pm

Does it cover just English Coronations? Cause there hasn't been an English one since the 20th Century (Elizabeth II), so it'll be interesting to see what he covers in the 21st.

Susan: did you order the book after you saw my post or before hand?

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Postby boswellbaxter » Tue June 16th, 2009, 6:58 pm

"SonjaMarie" wrote:Does it cover just English Coronations? Cause there hasn't been an English one since the 20th Century (Elizabeth II), so it'll be interesting to see what he covers in the 21st.

Susan: did you order the book after you saw my post or before hand?

SM

Just English ones. He brings in the 21st century in his epilogue, where he discusses the 50th anniversary of Elizabeth II's coronation and ponders what might happen when the next coronation takes place.

I've had the Henry VIII book on my mental wish list for some time (I think Telynor here also mentioned having a copy), and ordered it about two weeks ago. I hadn't heard of the Roy Strong book until someone on the Richard III Society Yahoo list mentioned it.
Susan Higginbotham

Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Postby sweetpotatoboy » Tue June 16th, 2009, 10:18 pm

"boswellbaxter" wrote:Got Coronation: From the 8th to the 21st Century by Roy Strong .

I have that book and it's a lovely one to have on one's shelves. Not that I've actually read it yet!

Telynor
Bibliophile

Postby Telynor » Wed June 17th, 2009, 6:40 am

"boswellbaxter" wrote:Just English ones. He brings in the 21st century in his epilogue, where he discusses the 50th anniversary of Elizabeth II's coronation and ponders what might happen when the next coronation takes place.

I've had the Henry VIII book on my mental wish list for some time (I think Telynor here also mentioned having a copy), and ordered it about two weeks ago. I hadn't heard of the Roy Strong book until someone on the Richard III Society Yahoo list mentioned it.

The Man and Monarch book is quite beautiful and very lavish with the illustrations. What makes it interesting are all of the documents that it shows, along with some illuminated manuscript pages. I really need to get my hands on the Roy Strong book.

Today I cajolled J into taking me shopping at B&N. There's still nothing quite like trolling along a bookstore's shelves. Today's haul included:

The Ghost Brigades and Zoe's Tale by John Scalzi
Defender, Pretender and Deliverer by CJ Cherryh
Seducing an Angel by Mary Balogh
Legionary: The unoffical manual for Roman Soldiers by Philip Matyszak
The Angel's Story
Julie and Julia

Alaric
Avid Reader

Postby Alaric » Wed June 17th, 2009, 10:35 am

Azincourt arrived today. I'll get to that sometime in July or August I imagine.

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Postby Amanda » Wed June 17th, 2009, 12:00 pm

"Alaric" wrote:Azincourt arrived today. I'll get to that sometime in July or August I imagine.

My copy arrived yesterday too!

I also received an ARC of Sacred Hearts by Sarah Dunant.

And today I popped into a discount bookstore that sells all books for 2 for $10 (new), and got The Embers from Heaven by Alma Alexander, and Skeletons of the Feast by Chris Bolherajan (sp). I was kicking myself though as they also had copies of A Place of Greater Safety by Hilary Mantel, which I had pickup up second hand for $12 just a couple of weeks ago, and a few other books that I already have and paid full price for.....

Return to “Archives”