Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Book shopping today ...

Retired Threads
boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Postby boswellbaxter » Mon June 8th, 2009, 6:46 pm

"Mattigan" wrote:I bought a first edition copy of The Winthorp Woman by Anya Seton. It's in excellent condition. It was a splurge but the two cats and Mattigan (the dog) got it for me for my birthday. That's how I justify the spending anyway.

It's nice that your animals are so thoughtful. :D
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Mattigan
Scribbler

Postby Mattigan » Mon June 8th, 2009, 8:44 pm

"boswellbaxter" wrote:It's nice that your animals are so thoughtful. :D

They are the greatest. They always come through for me. They buy me things for Halloween (my fave holiday),Christmas and Valentine's Day ,too.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Postby annis » Mon June 8th, 2009, 9:39 pm

Posted by Chuck
Anybody heard of.... or read lliya Troynov's "Collector of Worlds" a novel about Sir Richard Burton, travels to India, his pilgrimage to Mecca and his search for the source of the Nile....Saw the film "Mountains of the Moon in the 90's....really enjoyed the film and Burton was very interesting and definitely marched to a different beat.....considering buying or checking out my Library....Thanks

I haven't read that one, Chuck, but the movie was based on a novel by William Harrison called "Mountains of the Moon" ( originally titled "Burton and Speke")

*Edit - There's a review of "Collector of Worlds" here - sounds interesting:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2008/jun/28/saturdayreviewsfeatres.guardianreview30
Last edited by annis on Mon June 8th, 2009, 9:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Tue June 9th, 2009, 3:30 am

NF: "Permanent Londoners: An Illustrated Guide to the Cemeteries of London" by Judi Culbertson and Tom Randall
NF: "Diamonds Famous & Fatal : The History, Mystery and Lore of the World's Most Famous Gem" by Leo P. Kendall

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

Leyland
Bibliophile

Postby Leyland » Wed June 10th, 2009, 12:49 am

Got the following hardbacks for the staggering total of $8.92 at a Goodwill store today:

Nethergate by Norah Lofts
The Bannaman Legacy by Catherine Cookson
The Time of the Hunter’s Moon by Victoria Holt
The Child from the Sea by Elizabeth Goudge
Mary, Queen of Scots by Antonia Fraser
A Lady at Bay by Edgar Maass (about Marquise Marie-Madeleine d’Aubray de Brinvilliers)

and ….

wait for it ….

a fairly good condition 1969 Fawcett Crest paperback copy of Katherine by Anya Seton. I love it. She is depicted with flowing red hair like the link to Amazon below, but the title Katherine is printed in black and there are three tiny figures of men just above the left side of her head. One man is wielding a vertically positioned sword. So deliciously campy!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B000RO6CYM/sr=1-4/qid=1244594233/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=283155&s=books&qid=1244594233&sr=1-4
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Postby Chatterbox » Wed June 10th, 2009, 2:10 am

Wow Leyland, you've got a great Goodwill store where you are!!!! Even Strand in NYC doesn't have titles like that...

I must train my felines to buy gifts from Amazon for me....

Got copy of Okerlund's bio of Elizabeth Woodville in the mail today. Yummy, just what I needed.

Leyland
Bibliophile

Postby Leyland » Wed June 10th, 2009, 4:24 am

"Chatterbox" wrote:Wow Leyland, you've got a great Goodwill store where you are!!!! Even Strand in NYC doesn't have titles like that...

That's one of the best hauls I've ever made at a Goodwill - but finding titles like these is why it's so hard not to stop at every Goodwill that I see! I always go in looking for the good 70s or older books like the ones I found today. There were several Phyllis Whitneys and Dorothy Edens, but I passed them by.

I also bought another copy of Avalon by Anya Seton for my collection just because it's hard to leave any Seton in a thrift store!
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Postby diamondlil » Thu June 11th, 2009, 10:02 am

In the last couple of days I have received a couple of ARCs - The French Mistress by Susan Holloway Scott and The Tudor Rose by Margaret Campbell Barnes. I can't really remember what I have checked out of the library so will have to start again going forward.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Postby Amanda » Thu June 11th, 2009, 10:19 am

"diamondlil" wrote:In the last couple of days I have received a couple of ARCs - The French Mistress by Susan Holloway Scott and The Tudor Rose by Margaret Campbell Barnes. I can't really remember what I have checked out of the library so will have to start again going forward.

I'll be looking forward to The French Mistress! I loved Duchess.....though mind you I still have to read SHS's other books, they are on my shelves. I really like that she has chosen to write about a mistress of Charles II other than Barbara Castlemain and Nell Gwynn.

ETA: Welcome back Marg! I'll be you have a lot of internetting to catch up on!

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Thu June 11th, 2009, 5:19 pm

Amanda: She's already written about Nell and Barbara, I've read them both already.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

Return to “Archives”