Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Book shopping today ...

Retired Threads
LCW
Compulsive Reader

Postby LCW » Wed September 24th, 2008, 3:34 pm

Last week I got an invitation to the Amazon Vine program and so far I've gotten The Fire by Katherine Neville, Beside A Burning Sea by John Shors, and a Yoga video. Free stuff is always good!!
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Wed September 24th, 2008, 4:10 pm

"1lila1" wrote:Last week I got an invitation to the Amazon Vine program and so far I've gotten The Fire by Katherine Neville, Beside A Burning Sea by John Shors, and a Yoga video. Free stuff is always good!!

Man, I've never seen an offer for a yoga video. Hope your luck with Vine books is better than mine. I've had all duds so far.

Leyland
Bibliophile

Postby Leyland » Wed September 24th, 2008, 4:14 pm

I've got Neville's The Fire on pre-order at Amazon and will start reading it immediately upon receipt because I've read The Eight a couple times already since I liked it so much.

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Postby LCW » Wed September 24th, 2008, 4:28 pm

"Misfit" wrote:Man, I've never seen an offer for a yoga video. Hope your luck with Vine books is better than mine. I've had all duds so far.

They must go by your purchases. I've purchased over 20 Yoga Dvd's so that's probably why that one was on my list. It was only one but luckily I was planning on buying it anyway when it became available. I have one by the same instructor and I love it.
Books to the ceiling,

Books to the sky,

My pile of books is a mile high.

How I love them! How I need them!

I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

Leyland
Bibliophile

Postby Leyland » Wed September 24th, 2008, 5:29 pm

I bought CW Gortner's The Last Queen at Barnes & Noble during lunch. I'm really looking forward to reading it in the next couple of weeks.
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

JMJacobsen
Reader

Postby JMJacobsen » Thu September 25th, 2008, 5:57 am

"Leyland" wrote:I bought CW Gortner's The Last Queen at Barnes & Noble during lunch. I'm really looking forward to reading it in the next couple of weeks.

I'm looking forward to hearing how you like this one....it's on my never-ending wish list.

Leyland
Bibliophile

Postby Leyland » Thu September 25th, 2008, 1:15 pm

"JMJacobsen" wrote:I'm looking forward to hearing how you like this one....it's on my never-ending wish list.

Part of the reason I'm looking so forward to The Last Queen is because I really enjoyed reading Gortner's The Secret Lion. Consequently, TLQ gets to pass TBR Go. :)

JMJacobsen
Reader

Postby JMJacobsen » Thu September 25th, 2008, 6:58 pm

I cleaned out a bunch of books this week on BookMooch, so naturally I rationalized that this gave me an excuse to stop by Half-Price Books. (Of course.)

My haul:

Gemini, by Dorothy Dunnett. Part of The House of Niccolo series, none of which I've read yet, but my book OCD dictates that I must have the entire series within my reach before I begin the first. :rolleyes:

The Winthrop Woman, by Anya Seton. Since I didn't care for Katherine, I'm hoping this one will end up my favorite Seton book.

The Sealed Letter, by Emma Donoghue. This one made my list based off a review I read.

Lord John and the Private Matter, by Diana Gabaldron. Again, can't read it until I possess the rest of them.

The Last Kingdom, by Bernard Cornwell. Just because I've never read anything by him and it caught my attention.

The Love Child, by Philippa Carr (aka Jean Plaidy). My never-ending quest to possess every book written by this woman. This is one author where my series OCD doesn't apply....she wrote over 200 books, for heaven's sake. I might not live to collect them all, so I figure read them as I go.

eclecticreader10
Scribbler

Postby eclecticreader10 » Thu September 25th, 2008, 7:36 pm

I just bought The Heretic's Daughter and then in the mail from half.com I got Year of Wonders and Circle of Stones. I also have 4 coming from paperbackswap. I must say my TBR list has grown about 10 fold since I started visiting the book forum sites. I guess there are worse things I could be addicted to. I wonder if there is a 12 step program.

JMJacobsen
Reader

Postby JMJacobsen » Thu September 25th, 2008, 8:00 pm

"eclecticreader10" wrote:I wonder if there is a 12 step program.

There was, but I managed to turn it into a 12-book reading challenge. *sigh* I don't think there's any help for us!

Return to “Archives”