Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Book shopping today ...

Retired Threads
nona
Bibliophile

Postby nona » Fri May 29th, 2009, 9:29 pm

how can you read a kindle, I'm old fashioned I perfer the pages and smell of a book, my mother in law says I should get one butI just can't bare to give up my books. that and technology has it out for me :o

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Postby Chatterbox » Fri May 29th, 2009, 10:34 pm

well, that's what I would have said before I got the Kindle...

Having a Kindle means I have a library that is completely portable; this means I will never run out of books again while I'm traveling; I don't need to pack 30 paperbacks in my suitcase to keep me going on a two-week trip. I can download a new novel in hardcover, often for less than the price I would pay for it when it's available in paperback. And I don't need to find a place to store it afterwards, or wonder where in my library that d*** book has vanished. (When you have somewhere from 5,000 to 6,000 books, that becomes an issue...)

The Kindle isn't a replacement -- it's a different way of reading. And it's surprisingly similar once you are used to it. My only remaining frustrations are that the index & footnotes are more clunky to use on the Kindle.

Essentially: I'm saving money, have a portable library and don't have to store books in boxes in the basement.

chuck
Bibliophile

Postby chuck » Fri May 29th, 2009, 11:04 pm

Just started reading Ariana Franklin's "Grave Goods"....Three chapters....1154 Glastonbury.....Adelia again has been commissioned by Henry II to study the grave sites and remains of Arthur and Guenevere; to once and again prove that Arthur is dead and not resting and will not come to the aid of the Welsh people..... Adelia and her interesting colleagues are once again mired in Henry's politics and intrigues and one or two mysterious murders along the way.....Should be a very interesting romp of a read......
Last edited by chuck on Fri May 29th, 2009, 11:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Postby Kasthu » Sat May 30th, 2009, 12:02 am

"Misfit" wrote:I want to know - who buys more books. Nona or Kasthu? :) :p

:p :o
My sickness got worse today: I bought a copy of Barbara Erskine's The Warrior's Princess.

But I'm going to *try* to be better about not buying books starting next month!

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Sat May 30th, 2009, 12:04 am

"nona" wrote:well remember I'm trying to build my own little library collection, therefore I must buy when I can :D or at least thats my excuse.

I know, I now have my own little private library that overfloweth :p
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Postby Chatterbox » Sat May 30th, 2009, 1:32 am

spotted in the current edition of "The Week", an ad for a Victorian house in Stamford, NY (Catskills), $289k, five bedrooms, formal parlor, music room, sitting room and -- LIBRARY! Damn. Wish I had money.

Telynor
Bibliophile

Postby Telynor » Sat May 30th, 2009, 2:02 am

"Chatterbox" wrote:spotted in the current edition of "The Week", an ad for a Victorian house in Stamford, NY (Catskills), $289k, five bedrooms, formal parlor, music room, sitting room and -- LIBRARY! Damn. Wish I had money.

Oh that does sound delightful! (I'm on the other side of the river). But oh, how wonderful it would be to have a library!

parthianbow
Compulsive Reader

A member's new Roman fiction novel

Postby parthianbow » Sat May 30th, 2009, 2:21 pm

We have a new member - 'Victrix'. His novel - "Marius' Mules" - about Caesar's conquest of Gaul came out in April and it looks promising. I bought a copy immediately...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Marius-Mules-S-J-Turney/dp/1849238901/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1243693163&sr=8-1
Ben Kane
Bestselling author of Roman military fiction.
Spartacus - UK release 19 Jan. 2012. US release June 2012.

http://www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor

nona
Bibliophile

Postby nona » Sat May 30th, 2009, 2:23 pm

I did not realize Coronation of Glory-Deborah Meroff was about Lady Jane Grey, Sonjia has sparked my interest in her so this will be a treat.

I must admit once the seller told me the price and condition of the books I bought them then and there not knowing what that were about even. I think I might give two of them away when I decide I'll post it here, there a little too current for me so I'll post them later.

nona
Bibliophile

Postby nona » Sat May 30th, 2009, 3:08 pm

ok this is the last of book buying for a while, at least till next payday, from amazon Sex with Kings by Eleanor Herman and from Barnes and Noble Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen and Mr Darcy's Connection by Elizabeth Aston. Has anyone read Elizabeth Aston?

I might start looking at B&N more though, on the used books they seem to be priced right and they all ship within 24 hours, with amazon I've had a few take up to 4-5 days to ship.

Return to “Archives”