Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Book shopping today ...

Retired Threads
annis
Bibliomaniac

Postby annis » Sat September 20th, 2008, 10:42 pm

There is a fourth one of Penman's Justin de Quincey mysteries out as well "The Prince of Darkness."

Thanks for the reminder about Lois Bujold's "Sharing Knife" series- I hadn't realised that the third book was out already so I've ordered a copy.

Also just picked up a copy from an online auction a copy of Michael Read's novel set in C17th England, "The Chronicle of Isaac Quirk"

<Orphaned, then made destitute under the guns of Parliament's army, young Isaac Quirk endures to see Fortune smile.

As apprentice to the kindly surgeon Mr Wallace, he finds not only an honourable trade but a true calling; and on the eve of his admittance to the Company of Barber Surgeons it seems that his future is assured. But Fortune has not done with Isaac Quirk.

Alone in the city while the press gang prowls for recruits to wage war against the Dutch, he may find the offer of a life before the mast impossible to refuse.

Irresistibly weaving the high adventure of spy-masters, cyphers and assassins with the gory realities of seventeenth-century surgery, The Chronicle of Isaac Quirk pitches us headlong into a tumultuous century: a time of war, pestilence, treachery and inferno.>

It's by an Australian author, so probably hard to find in the States.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: A Suggestion of Scandal by Catherine Kullman & And So It Begins by Rachel Abbott (Pigeonhole)
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favorite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Postby Vanessa » Sat September 20th, 2008, 11:36 pm

I've been into York today on a book group meet up and bought the following on our travels:

Red River by Lalita Tademy
Letters from an Age of Reason by Nora Hague
The Piano Tuner by Daniel Mason
The Sisterhood by Emily Barr
The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton
The French Gardener by Santa Montefiore

What a lovely day it was, too! The sun was actually shining for a change and it was warm, yes, warm! It is the first time I have sat outside all summer apart from under a gazebo in the rain at a barbecue (typical British quirkiness!! We will have that barbecue even if we look like drowned rats! LOL). It has just simply rained constantly for the whole summer.
Last edited by Vanessa on Sat September 20th, 2008, 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

JMJacobsen
Reader

Postby JMJacobsen » Sat September 20th, 2008, 11:58 pm

"Vanessa" wrote:I've been into York today on a book group meet up and bought the following on our travels:

Red River by Lalita Tademy
Letters from an Age of Reason by Nora Hague
The Piano Tuner by Daniel Mason
The Sisterhood by Emily Barr
The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton
The French Gardener by Santa Montefiore

What a lovely day it was, too! The sun was actually shining for a change and it was warm, yes, warm! It is the first time I have sat outside all summer apart from under a gazebo in the rain at a barbecue (typical British quirkiness!! We will have that barbecue even if we look like drowned rats! LOL). It has just simply rained constantly for the whole summer.

Oh I just love The Age of Innocence (in fact, all of Wharton's work). You reminded me that I'd love to re-read some of her novels!

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Postby Susan » Sun September 21st, 2008, 1:10 am

"annis" wrote:There is a fourth one of Penman's Justin de Quincey mysteries out as well "The Prince of Darkness.".

Thanks! I forgot that one! It's about Prince John, of course!

http://www.sharonkaypenman.com/princedarkness.htm
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Telynor
Bibliophile

Postby Telynor » Sun September 21st, 2008, 1:13 am

"JMJacobsen" wrote:Oh I just love The Age of Innocence (in fact, all of Wharton's work). You reminded me that I'd love to re-read some of her novels!

I have definately fallen under the spell of Edith Wharton's writing, both her fiction and nonfiction. Especially The Age of Innocence, along with the film adaptations of her novels as well.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Sun September 21st, 2008, 1:26 am

"JMJacobsen" wrote:Oh I just love The Age of Innocence (in fact, all of Wharton's work). You reminded me that I'd love to re-read some of her novels!

I have this one on the pile, I've read The House of Mirth and loved it (sad sad sad though it was). I also have one of hers with a collection of ghost stories.

JMJacobsen
Reader

Postby JMJacobsen » Sun September 21st, 2008, 2:05 am

Today I snagged two Nora Lofts books...The King's Pleasure: A Biographical Novel of Katherine of Aragon and The Lost Queen. Both 1969 hardcovers with intact dust covers in nice shape. Also found an old copy of Katherine by Seton. All for a grand total of $2 (beats Amazon!).

I think I'm the only person on the planet who didn't care for Katherine, but I'm sure I'll "re-home" the book to a loving new owner.

Edited to add:

Oh dear...I just took a flip through The Lost Queen and what is the first line my eyes alight upon?

"He fell upon her rather as a starving dog might fall upon a hunk of meat..."

Seriously? A hunk of meat? Arghhhhhhhh. At least it was only $2. And here I was so proud of myself.
Last edited by JMJacobsen on Sun September 21st, 2008, 2:11 am, edited 3 times in total.

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Postby Tanzanite » Sun September 21st, 2008, 4:30 am

"JMJacobsen" wrote:

Edited to add:

Oh dear...I just took a flip through The Lost Queen and what is the first line my eyes alight upon?

Seriously? A hunk of meat? Arghhhhhhhh. At least it was only $2. And here I was so proud of myself.

That's bad.

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Postby boswellbaxter » Sun September 21st, 2008, 4:46 am

"JMJacobsen" wrote:

Who's The Lost Queen about?
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Sun September 21st, 2008, 4:51 am

It's A novel based on the life of George III's sister, Princess Caroline-Matilda.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/l/norah-lofts/lost-queen.htm

I read this decades ago, ok maybe 2 or so decades ago.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

Return to “Archives”