Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Book shopping today ...

Retired Threads
annis
Bibliomaniac

Postby annis » Thu March 26th, 2009, 3:55 am

Gave in and bought the latest in Jim Butcher's "Dresden Files" series, "Turn Coat". It's hard to beat a bit of wizard noir :)

*Edit And have to confess to watching it come up on Book Depository's worldwide live book sales map- again and again--
Last edited by annis on Thu March 26th, 2009, 6:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Thu March 26th, 2009, 4:04 am

"annis" wrote:Gave in and bought the latest in Jim Butcher's "Dresden Files" series, "Turn Coat". It's hard to beat a bit of wizard noir :)

*Edit And have to confess to watching it come up on Book Depository's worldwide live book sales map- agaon and again--

I'm still 4 books behind that one, I finished #7 last month.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

Carine
Compulsive Reader
Currently reading: Jonkvrouw - Jean-Claude Van Ryckeghem
Interest in HF: I love history
Favorite HF book: Can't pin that down to only 1 :-)
Preferred HF: Medieval, Tudor and Ancient Egyptian

Postby Carine » Thu March 26th, 2009, 6:47 am

"nona" wrote:let me know what you think of Pauline Geddge I have The Eagle and the Raven on my shelf waiting to be read.

I read Child of the Morning by Pauline Gedge just a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed it. She's a great writer.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Survivors by Kate Furnivall & The Corset by Laura Purcell (Pigeonhole)
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favorite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Postby Vanessa » Thu March 26th, 2009, 6:29 pm

I've had a little spend with my husband's 'unwanted' gift vouchers:

Popco by Scarlett Thomas
A Guide to the Birds of East Africa by Nicholas Drason
Queen of Silks by Vanora Bennett
The Owl Killers by Karen Maitland
Chasing Dreams by Susan Lewis
Sanctuary by Nora Roberts

Also from a discount bookshop (3 for £5):

The Town House by Norah Lofts
The House at Sunset by Norah Lofts
Nethergate by Norah Lofts

(I've now found out that the first two Norah Lofts books are part of a trilogy, so I shall have to hunt down a copy of the third part!!!!:rolleyes :)
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Postby sweetpotatoboy » Fri March 27th, 2009, 2:52 pm

I have been SO good recently...
The colleague I share an office with knows that I have an book-buying illness, so she makes me feel guilty if I come back from lunch with newly bought books. But she's not in today! So I bought a few brand new historical novels, all of which I've been interested in for a while but some are brand new in paperback:

Cathedral of the Sea - Ildefonso Falcones
The Last Queen - CW Gortner
Company of Liars - Karen Maitland
Warrior of Rome: Part 1: Fire in the East - Harry Sidebottom

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: Heavenfield by L J Ross & Lost for Words by Stephanie Butland
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Fri March 27th, 2009, 8:36 pm

Yesterday I got The Return by Victoria Hislop (set partially during the Spanish Civil War so I guess it qualifies as HF), and Until It's Over by Nicci French (well actually my mum bought it but it will probably end up on my tbr pile).

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Postby diamondlil » Fri March 27th, 2009, 9:50 pm

"sweetpotatoboy" wrote:I have been SO good recently...
The colleague I share an office with knows that I have an book-buying illness, so she makes me feel guilty if I come back from lunch with newly bought books. But she's not in today! So I bought a few brand new historical novels, all of which I've been interested in for a while but some are brand new in paperback:

Cathedral of the Sea - Ildefonso Falcones
The Last Queen - CW Gortner
Company of Liars - Karen Maitland
Warrior of Rome: Part 1: Fire in the East - Harry Sidebottom

LOL! I would like to read Cathedral of the Sea but I don't think my library is getting it in!
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Postby Ludmilla » Fri March 27th, 2009, 10:34 pm

I just received the US paperback edition of Ursula Le Guin's Lavinia. I wasn't expecting it until May (I wonder if I had my months mixed up or whether it's really early!). Anyway... a pleasant surprise for the end of the day.

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favorite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Postby Nefret » Sat March 28th, 2009, 4:31 am

"Carine" wrote:I read Child of the Morning by Pauline Gedge just a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed it. She's a great writer.

Yes, indeed. I love that book.

Have you read Lady of the Reeds too?

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Postby Amanda » Mon March 30th, 2009, 4:44 am

I have been trying to be good lately....but the postman delivered Shores of Darkness by Diana Norman today.

Return to “Archives”