Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Book shopping today ...

Retired Threads
Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favorite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Postby Margaret » Fri September 19th, 2008, 5:50 pm

It's been years since I read Key to Rebecca, but it sticks in my mind as a pretty good thriller. It's a fast-paced, highly suspenseful novel about code-breaking during World War II. The main characters and the central storyline are fictional.

As for my own book shopping, I just ordered a copy of The Warwolf by Hermann Lons, about German peasant farmers during the Thirty Years War (first half of the 17th century). Written in 1910, but not translated into English until recently. The Thirty Years War was one of history's more brutal wars, fought ostensibly over religion, although the French Catholics intervened on the Protestant side because their Spanish Hapsburg enemies were fighting on the Catholic side. It was fought primarily by mercenary soldiers who were paid only during the fighting season and sent to live off the land (i.e. by stealing from the peasant farmers) during the winter. Stealing the peasants' food supplies was bad enough, but the mercenaries also killed for fun. From the peasant perspective, it really didn't matter which army was in your vicinity - both were equally bad. It's kind of surprising that more novels have not been written about this period, but until quite recently there seems to have been a strong bias toward settings in English-speaking countries.
Last edited by Margaret on Fri September 19th, 2008, 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings and over 650 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Spitfire
Reader

Postby Spitfire » Fri September 19th, 2008, 7:35 pm

"Telynor" wrote:Casanova's Women by Judith Summers (nonfiction)

Ooooh! I saw this one and thought it looked good. You will have to give us a review when you finish reading it!
Only the pure of heart can make good soup. - Beethoven

Dani
Scribbler

Postby Dani » Fri September 19th, 2008, 7:44 pm

I ordered MISTRESS OF THE ART OF DEATH
by Ariana Franklin
as well as her second book a Serpants Tale

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Postby Tanzanite » Fri September 19th, 2008, 11:02 pm

Got in the mail today (from Albris books) books 2 and 3 of Helen Hollick's Arthur trilogy (Pendragon's Banner and Shadow of the King)

Alaric
Avid Reader

Postby Alaric » Sat September 20th, 2008, 10:07 am

I had a discount voucher for Borders so I bought three today:

"Iron Kingdom: The Rise and Downfall of Prussia, 1600-1947," by Christopher Clark
"Wellington: The Iron Duke," by Richard Holmes
"Rifles: Six Years with Wellington's Legendary Sharpshooters," by Mark Urban

They're all non-fiction.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Postby Divia » Sat September 20th, 2008, 3:07 pm

went to a book sale. I was expecting more choices

Enemey Woman
Devoted by Alice Borchardt
The measure of a woman
Lily Dale
From Flappers to Flivvers
We had everything but Money
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Postby Susan » Sat September 20th, 2008, 4:11 pm

I picked up The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society at Costco today for $11.99. Good deal!
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

nona
Bibliophile

Postby nona » Sat September 20th, 2008, 4:11 pm

Cruel as the Grave- SKP

if you don't mind whats this about? never heard this title.

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Postby Susan » Sat September 20th, 2008, 4:19 pm

"nona" wrote:Cruel as the Grave- SKP

if you don't mind whats this about? never heard this title.

Penman has a mystery series and this is one of the books. Her "detective" is Justin de Quincy who usually solves mysteries for Eleanor of Aquitaine. This is the second book in the series.

1) The Queen's Man
2) Cruel as the Grave
3) Dragon's Lair
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Postby michellemoran » Sat September 20th, 2008, 4:27 pm

Mistress of the Vatican.

This is the biography of Olimpia Maidalchini, a woman I've had an interest in for quite some time. She was considered the "secret" female pope, and unlike Pope Joan, whose life is not well documented, a great deal is known about Olimpia.
Last edited by michellemoran on Sat September 20th, 2008, 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

Return to “Archives”