Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Book shopping today ...

Retired Threads
User avatar
Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: Heavenfield by L J Ross & Lost for Words by Stephanie Butland
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime
Location: Essex/London

Postby Madeleine » Mon March 2nd, 2009, 8:19 pm

Got today in 3 for 2:

Queen of Silks by Vanora Bennett
Daphne by Justine Picardie
The Girl of his Dreams by Donna Leon

User avatar
lindymc
Reader

Postby lindymc » Wed March 4th, 2009, 8:58 pm

Yesterday my daughter (LoisAnn) and I visited a truly wonderful used book store in Chickasha, Oklahoma. With the disappearance of small independent bookstores, esp. in small towns, it's a real treat to find a clean, friendly UBS. The two of us went wild, buying two dozen lovely "new" books and toting home a sack of free ones besides. Among our treasures, at no more than $2 each, and in very nice condition:
Tradewind, M.M. Kaye
Zeminder, Valerie Fitzgerald
3 of the Wallflowers series by Lisa Kleypas
books 2 & 3 of Sari Donati's Wilderness series
a couple of Roberta Gellis romances
two books of Irish HF by Thomas Flanagan
and four books by Fred Mustard Stewart (he's been on a "remember this name" list for over a year)
and other various novels by Caleb Carr, Barbara Taylor Bradford, Kathleen Woodiwiss, Julie Garwood, Marsha Canham, and Celeste de Blasis
She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain. (1873) -- Louisa May Alcott

User avatar
Misfit
Bibliomaniac
Location: Seattle, WA

Postby Misfit » Wed March 4th, 2009, 9:11 pm

"lindymc" wrote:Yesterday my daughter (LoisAnn) and I visited a truly wonderful used book store in Chickasha, Oklahoma. With the disappearance of small independent bookstores, esp. in small towns, it's a real treat to find a clean, friendly UBS. The two of us went wild, buying two dozen lovely "new" books and toting home a sack of free ones besides. Among our treasures, at no more than $2 each, and in very nice condition:
Tradewind, M.M. Kaye
Zeminder, Valerie Fitzgerald
3 of the Wallflowers series by Lisa Kleypas
books 2 & 3 of Sari Donati's Wilderness series
a couple of Roberta Gellis romances
two books of Irish HF by Thomas Flanagan
and four books by Fred Mustard Stewart (he's been on a "remember this name" list for over a year)
and other various novels by Caleb Carr, Barbara Taylor Bradford, Kathleen Woodiwiss, Julie Garwood, Marsha Canham, and Celeste de Blasis


Ooh, what a haul. Hope you like Zemindar. Which Canham and de Blasis did you get?

User avatar
lindymc
Reader

Postby lindymc » Wed March 4th, 2009, 10:14 pm

Misfit - I knew you'd take note of Zeminder. The Celeste de Blasis is an older-looking, gothic-looking novel titled The Night Child. I was actually looking for several other ones, and the owner of the shop said she had other titles, but is in the process of reorganizing the shelves and couldn't locate them. The one by Marsha Canham is China Rose - know anything about it?? I had put Canham's name on my list, and then couldn't remember where I'd heard of her, or why.
She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain. (1873) -- Louisa May Alcott

User avatar
nona
Bibliophile
Location: Oklahoma

Postby nona » Wed March 4th, 2009, 10:40 pm

"lindymc" wrote:Yesterday my daughter (LoisAnn) and I visited a truly wonderful used book store in Chickasha, Oklahoma.



What was the name of the store I might have to look into it and do a little shopping myself.

User avatar
lindymc
Reader

Postby lindymc » Wed March 4th, 2009, 11:03 pm

It's the Book Store on the Corner; and it is on the corner of Main Street and Highway 81. The owner is a former English teacher, pretty knowledgeable about titles and authors. Lots, and I DO mean lots, of books. She is currently in the process of reorganizing, adding shelves, and expanding into a back room. When she has it all done, it will really be a great place to shop. Even in the rather unsettled condition yesterday, it was a pleasure to browse in her shop.
She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain. (1873) -- Louisa May Alcott

User avatar
Misfit
Bibliomaniac
Location: Seattle, WA

Postby Misfit » Thu March 5th, 2009, 12:23 am

"lindymc" wrote:Misfit - I knew you'd take note of Zeminder. The Celeste de Blasis is an older-looking, gothic-looking novel titled The Night Child. I was actually looking for several other ones, and the owner of the shop said she had other titles, but is in the process of reorganizing the shelves and couldn't locate them. The one by Marsha Canham is China Rose - know anything about it?? I had put Canham's name on my list, and then couldn't remember where I'd heard of her, or why.


I have The Night Child and read it late last year. Not bad, but its so so different from her other big old sagas, its hard to compare.

Marsha Canham, she's got a couple of Scottish historicals I read several years ago, along with her "Robin Hood" trilogy that I thought was great fun. I've never heard of China Rose.

I forgot to mention Fred Mustard Stewart. He's been flitting around on my wish list for some time. So many books, so little time.

User avatar
boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Postby boswellbaxter » Fri March 6th, 2009, 12:51 am

The House of Treason: The Rise and Fall of a T***r Dynasty - Robert Hutchinson.

Nonfiction about the Dukes of Norfolk.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles


http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

User avatar
SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac
Location: Vashon, WA
Contact:

Postby SonjaMarie » Fri March 6th, 2009, 1:25 am

"boswellbaxter" wrote:The House of Treason: The Rise and Fall of a T***r Dynasty - Robert Hutchinson.

Nonfiction about the Dukes of Norfolk.


Why does Tudor have ***s in it?

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

User avatar
Amanda
Compulsive Reader
Location: Sydney, Australia

Postby Amanda » Fri March 6th, 2009, 3:38 am

Over the last week or so I have added to the shelfs/piles/spare spots around the house:

Some Rosalind Laker books:
The Silver Touch
Far Seeks the Heart
Jewelled Path
The Sugar Pavillion

Blood Royal by Diana Norman
The Cherished Wives by Valerie Anand
The Rival Queens by Fidelis Morgan
The Accomplice by Kathryn Heyman
Unpolished Gem by Alice Pung
Palace Circle by Rebecca Dean (ARC)

And a slow cooker recipe book....for a bit of something different!


Return to “Archives”