Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Book shopping today ...

Retired Threads
Telynor
Bibliophile

Postby Telynor » Sun February 22nd, 2009, 10:51 pm

"Kasthu" wrote:Two books came into my house this evening, both nonfiction:

What Jane Austen Ate and Charles Dickens Knew, by Daniel Pool
The Last Duel: A True Story of Crime, Scandal, and Trial by Combat in Medieval France, by Eric Jager.

Both of those books are very good, especially the first one. All sorts of neat tidbits about life in the nineteenth century, and very useful if you're reading either Austen or Dickens. The second is just a damn good story, and unputdownable.

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favorite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Postby Nefret » Mon February 23rd, 2009, 3:32 am

"Kasthu" wrote:The Last Duel: A True Story of Crime, Scandal, and Trial by Combat in Medieval France, by Eric Jager.

I read that a short while ago. A good story. :)

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Survivors by Kate Furnivall & The Clockmaker’s Daughter by Kate Morton (Pigeonhole)
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favorite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Postby Vanessa » Tue February 24th, 2009, 6:45 pm

I received the Josephine Bonaparte Trilogy by Sandra Gulland today comprising of:

The Many Lives and Secret Sorrow of Josephine B
Tales of Passion, Tales of Woe
The Last Great Dance on Earth

I got them on Ebay for £1.99 plus p&p. I thought they were a bargain!
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Tue February 24th, 2009, 7:37 pm

"Vanessa" wrote:I received the Josephine Bonaparte Trilogy by Sandra Gulland today comprising of:

The Many Lives and Secret Sorrow of Josephine B
Tales of Passion, Tales of Woe
The Last Great Dance on Earth

I got them on Ebay for £1.99 plus p&p. I thought they were a bargain!

Oh great bargain! Those are really good books, I enjoyed them immensely!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Tue February 24th, 2009, 7:41 pm

DeepDiscount is shipping out the newest J.D Robb book to me today, "Promises In Death".

Can't wait to read it, usually takes me a few days, 3 or less if it's really good!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: Heavenfield by L J Ross & Lost for Words by Stephanie Butland
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Wed February 25th, 2009, 11:44 am

Just ordered "The Secret River" from play.com, and "The Marais Assassin" from CD-Wow.

Leo62
Bibliophile

Postby Leo62 » Wed February 25th, 2009, 3:40 pm

I just bought a copy of Barbara Erskine's Daughter of Fire for 20p at a sale in my local library! It's in good nick, too :D

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Postby sweetpotatoboy » Wed February 25th, 2009, 3:49 pm

"Madeleine" wrote:Just ordered "The Secret River" from play.com, and "The Marais Assassin" from CD-Wow.

CD-Wow are doing books again? Oh, I see they are. They offered them for a short time a year or so ago and then stopped. They must only have just started doing them again.
So this is another option for non-UK customers to order UK books at UK prices with free shipping worldwide. Though I think the stock is quite spotty and the search function is poor.

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Postby sweetpotatoboy » Wed February 25th, 2009, 3:57 pm

"sweetpotatoboy" wrote:So this is another option for non-UK customers to order UK books at UK prices with free shipping worldwide.

Ignore that: CD-Wow do charge shipping (quite a lot) for books, which makes them quite expensive compared to competitors.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Postby annis » Wed February 25th, 2009, 4:41 pm

Book Depository are a hard act to beat as far as buying from the UK goes.

Just picked up a copy from an online auction of George Herman's "Carnival of Saints", a mystery set in Italy during the Renaissance, and featuring the Commedia dell'arte.

Return to “Archives”