Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Book shopping today ...

Retired Threads
User avatar
Telynor
Bibliophile
Location: On the Banks of the Hudson

Postby Telynor » Sat February 7th, 2009, 5:23 am

"SonjaMarie" wrote:Even though I already have a few books here from BF and ones I already bought and one I'm waiting for in the mail, after finishing "The Complete Pompeii", I went and ordered a used copy of "Pompeii: The Living City" by Alex Butterworth, Ray Laurence. It'll be awhile before I get to it, but I just like having the books here so I don't run out.

SM


Butterworth's book on Pompeii is terrific, and worth whatever it was that you paid for it.

User avatar
SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac
Location: Vashon, WA
Contact:

Postby SonjaMarie » Sat February 7th, 2009, 5:27 am

"Telynor" wrote:Butterworth's book on Pompeii is terrific, and worth whatever it was that you paid for it.


Oh, I was lucky, under $10 with s/h. I'm looking forward to it.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

MissMarplestein
Reader
Location: Ormond Beach, Florida USA

Postby MissMarplestein » Sat February 7th, 2009, 1:31 pm

Sonja - I noticed your link about the Lady Jane Grey museum...while at Barnes and Nobles yesterday, I happened to see a book by Alison Weir about Lady Jane Grey, and for the life of me the title escapes me. Something about the 'reluctant queen', or something like that - I believe it's new. I didn't buy it, but just wondering if you're familiar with it and perhaps get your opinion? Thanks!

"I have dreamed thee too long,
never seen thee or touched thee
but known thee with all of my heart.
Half a prayer, half a song,
thou hast always been with me,
though we have been always apart." Man of LaMancha

MissMarplestein

User avatar
boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Postby boswellbaxter » Sat February 7th, 2009, 4:40 pm

Got a copy of The King's Grace by Anne Easter Smith yesterday. Looks good so far.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles


http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

User avatar
EC2
Bibliomaniac
Location: Nottingham UK
Contact:

Postby EC2 » Sat February 7th, 2009, 5:00 pm

Busy with Devil's Brood by Sharon Kay Penman - enjoying it. I wasn't sure I'd have enough space, but I'm fine. Also just received a book Sharon reccommended to me - The Road to Jerusalem by Jan Guillou.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

MissMarplestein
Reader
Location: Ormond Beach, Florida USA

Postby MissMarplestein » Sat February 7th, 2009, 5:09 pm

I borrowed Penmarric, by Susan Howatch, from the library yesterday...haven't started it yet, but am looking forward to diving in...!

"I have dreamed thee too long,
never seen thee or touched thee
but known thee with all of my heart.
Half a prayer, half a song,
thou hast always been with me,
though we have been always apart." Man of LaMancha

MissMarplestein

User avatar
Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: Sycamore Gap by L J Ross & The Furthest Station by Ben Aaronovitch
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime
Location: Essex/London

Postby Madeleine » Sat February 7th, 2009, 5:13 pm

"MissMarplestein" wrote:Sonja - I noticed your link about the Lady Jane Grey museum...while at Barnes and Nobles yesterday, I happened to see a book by Alison Weir about Lady Jane Grey, and for the life of me the title escapes me. Something about the 'reluctant queen', or something like that - I believe it's new. I didn't buy it, but just wondering if you're familiar with it and perhaps get your opinion? Thanks!


I think in the UK this book was called "Innocent Traitor", not sure if it has the same title in the US.

User avatar
SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac
Location: Vashon, WA
Contact:

Postby SonjaMarie » Sat February 7th, 2009, 5:40 pm

"Madeleine" wrote:I think in the UK this book was called "Innocent Traitor", not sure if it has the same title in the US.


Yes it is, and it's an excellent fictional book on Jane. Most of the ones I own are, umm very bad, they always try to put Jane and Guildford together as being in love and it's just not true. But Weir's take is more refreshing. The only reason I have the other bad books is because the majority have artwork of Jane on the cover or dustjacket and sometimes illustrations inside.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

MissMarplestein
Reader
Location: Ormond Beach, Florida USA

Postby MissMarplestein » Sat February 7th, 2009, 5:47 pm

"SonjaMarie" wrote:Yes it is, and it's an excellent fictional book on Jane. Most of the ones I own are, umm very bad, they always try to put Jane and Guildford together as being in love and it's just not true. But Weir's take is more refreshing. The only reason I have the other bad books is because the majority have artwork of Jane on the cover or dustjacket and sometimes illustrations inside.

SM


Thanks for the input...Yes, the book is 'An Innocent Traitor'...I'll have to buy it now! lol

"I have dreamed thee too long,
never seen thee or touched thee
but known thee with all of my heart.
Half a prayer, half a song,
thou hast always been with me,
though we have been always apart." Man of LaMancha

MissMarplestein

User avatar
Kasthu
Compulsive Reader
Location: Radnor, PA
Contact:

Postby Kasthu » Wed February 11th, 2009, 11:55 pm

I don't believe it's HF, but I just bought The Priory, by Dorothy Whipple, on Amazon. They say it will ship in two to three weeks...


Return to “Archives”