Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Book shopping today ...

Retired Threads
annis
Bibliomaniac

Postby annis » Tue January 6th, 2009, 4:26 am

Darn it- one of my New Year's Resolutions down the tubes already - to lay of buying books so often. I've just gone and ordered Sarah Bowers' "Needle in the Blood" from Book Depository.

And we won't even mention the chocolate biscuits---

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favorite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Postby MLE (Emily Cotton) » Tue January 6th, 2009, 4:48 am

I just acquired an old copy of Los Hijos del Sol (Children of the Sun), a work on Inca Legends published in the sixties. I've been wanting one for my library for a while, but they are usually pricey.
Probably won't find time to read it until the next time I have to give a talk of the Incas, tho.

lindymc
Reader

Postby lindymc » Tue January 6th, 2009, 11:52 am

"Misfit" wrote: :) :)

No worries. I'm still trying to figure out how I sold at least three copies (that I know of) of a $.01 used paperback - let alone waiting to see what the rest of you think about it.

Misfit, make that 4 copies; I have it on order from paperback swap, expecting it in a day or two. And since my daughter (Loisann) and I share all our historical novels, that will mean 2 more readers based on your recommendation. Are you beginning to feel the pressure???
She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain. (1873) -- Louisa May Alcott

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Tue January 6th, 2009, 1:54 pm

"lindymc" wrote:Misfit, make that 4 copies; I have it on order from paperback swap, expecting it in a day or two. And since my daughter (Loisann) and I share all our historical novels, that will mean 2 more readers based on your recommendation. Are you beginning to feel the pressure???

Oh dear, the fat is really in the fire now isn't it? I'm still trying to figure out how BB skims a book, cooks dinner and cuddles the dog :) :confused: :rolleyes:

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Postby boswellbaxter » Tue January 6th, 2009, 2:25 pm

"Misfit" wrote:Oh dear, the fat is really in the fire now isn't it? I'm still trying to figure out how BB skims a book, cooks dinner and cuddles the dog :) :confused: :rolleyes:

Eats dinner, not cooks it! Cooking is in short supply here.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Postby Kasthu » Tue January 6th, 2009, 4:30 pm

"red805" wrote:Spent the Amazon.com gift certificate I received :) , based on favorite books from some of your lists, for - Forever Amber (Kathleen Winsor), The Kings Pleasure:A Novel of Katharine of Aragon (Norah Lofts), The Sunne In Splendour:A Novel of Richard III (Sharon Kay Penman), The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (Mary Ann Shaffer), The Falcon of Palermo (Maria Bordihn) - I think my dog ate the cover off my original copy, The Crimson Petal and the White (Michel Faber), & the dvd The Name of the Rose.

You're in for a treat! The ones I've read of these are quite good (Forever Amber ranks up there as a favorite I've read and re-read).

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Postby Kasthu » Tue January 6th, 2009, 4:35 pm

"Susan" wrote:I also just spent an Amazon gift certificate and got:

"Mr. Timothy: A Novel" by Louis Bayard
"Company of Liars" by Karen Maitland
"The King's Daughter. A Novel of the First Tudor Queen" by Sandra Worth
"Duchess: A Novel of Sarah Churchill" by Susan Holloway Scott
"Signora Da Vinci" by Robin Maxwell
"Westminster Abbey (Wonders of the World)" by Richard Jenkyns
"Anne of the Thousand Days / Mary, Queen of Scots" DVD;
"Mistress of the Monarchy: The Life of Katherine Swynford, Duchess of Lancaster" by Alison Weir I bought this even though (I hemmed and hawed about buying this, but I am very interested in Katherine Swynford)
"Isaac Newton" by James Gleick (for my husband)

Comapny of Liars was fantastic! Enjoy. I read an ARC of Mistress of the Monarchy, but didn't like the book so much. Well, I did like parts of it, Weir is very biased, IMO. Also, it was more like a biography of John of Gaunt, with notes about Katherine.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Tue January 6th, 2009, 5:14 pm

"boswellbaxter" wrote:Eats dinner, not cooks it! Cooking is in short supply here.

OK, that makes more sense :)

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Postby EC2 » Tue January 6th, 2009, 6:11 pm

"Misfit" wrote:That cover's a keeper isn't it? Waiting to see what the other two in the series are like when they come :D

**bites nails** so far that's EC, BB and now Tanzanite that purchased A Silver Mirror because of me. Hope you all like it :o

Doesn't matter if we don't. :D It didn't cost the earth and an unread Gellis is always an event! I've skimmed it too, but won't properly get stuck in for a couple of weeks yet. I am currently reading Ship of Rome by John Stack for Amazon Vine. I so wish he hadn't called his hero Captain Perennis!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Tue January 6th, 2009, 6:22 pm

"EC2" wrote:Doesn't matter if we don't. :D It didn't cost the earth and an unread Gellis is always an event!

Big spenders, the lot of you :) :p

Speaking of unread Gellis I've got all three of her Heiress series now and actually started the third one (bad bad). The first is set in France during The Terror, the second in Cornwall and the heroine's a bit of a smuggler who gets involved with the wealthy lord's son (or something like that), the last dealing with a pair during the Napoleonic wars.

Return to “Archives”