Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Book shopping today ...

Retired Threads
Ellie
Reader

Postby Ellie » Wed December 17th, 2008, 8:36 am

Last weekend I bought a new release in Australia- Youre Heart belongs to me by Dean Koontz and City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare- both for $30. I was pleased.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Postby diamondlil » Wed December 17th, 2008, 8:53 am

I went to the library yesterday and picked up:

Naughty Neighbour by Janet Evanovich
Living with the Dead by Kelley Armstrong
Fishing for Stars by Bryce Courtenay
Portrait in Death by J D Robb
Behind the Scenes at the Museum by Kate Atkinson
Tiger Claws by John Speed
Winter Sea by Susanne Kearsley
Comanche Moon by Larry McMurtrey

When I got home from work tonight there was a package waiting for me and in it there was The Spanish Bow by Andromeda Romano-Lax
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Postby Kasthu » Wed December 17th, 2008, 5:46 pm

Today I picked up: A Foreign Affair, by Caro Peacock--I went looking for Dorothy Dunnett's House of Niccolo series, but they didn't seem to have it in stock.

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Postby Amanda » Wed December 17th, 2008, 10:02 pm

I got some secondhand books yesterday:

An Instance of the Fingerpost by Iain Pears
A Catch of Consequence by Diana Norman
Rose of Sebastapol by Katherine McMahon

AuntiePam
Reader

Postby AuntiePam » Fri December 19th, 2008, 3:23 am

"Amanda" wrote:An Instance of the Fingerpost by Iain Pears

I loved that book. I didn't try to solve the mystery, and I'm not sure I understood what happened even when all was revealed, but I still loved it.

Today I used a gift certificate and am waiting for Hangover Square by Charles Hamilton and Black Tower (is that the title?) by Louis (?) Bayard. (Shoot. I should have bought some memory.)

nona
Bibliophile

Postby nona » Fri December 19th, 2008, 4:29 pm

I swore up and down that I would avoid temptation, but I'm rewarding myself with two books only. Georgette Heyers Arabella and Frederica, they both have rave reviews and would be something new to me as I never read her and regency is a whole new time frame. Funny thing is I have Heyers The Conqueror in the middle of my tbr mountain.

Telynor
Bibliophile

Postby Telynor » Sat December 20th, 2008, 12:07 am

"nona" wrote:I swore up and down that I would avoid temptation, but I'm rewarding myself with two books only. Georgette Heyers Arabella and Frederica, they both have rave reviews and would be something new to me as I never read her and regency is a whole new time frame. Funny thing is I have Heyers The Conqueror in the middle of my tbr mountain.

Heyer takes a little while to get into -- the writing style is very different than what there is today, but once you get involved, it's not bad at all. There are several very good books out there that are glossaries of terms and ideas of the Regency period which help to explain some of the behaviour. She more or less created the Regency novel.

nona
Bibliophile

Postby nona » Sun December 21st, 2008, 2:11 am

ok I ordered another one, Sands of the Arena by James Duffy. A gladiator story about a boy who's parents are killed at sea and he's injured. a slave steals his dentity, he becomes a gladiator and fights his way to he top all in Nero's time. I love a good Roman story.

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Postby Kasthu » Sun December 21st, 2008, 7:23 pm

I finally found The House of Niccolo series yesterday at Barnes and Noble, and I picked up the first in the series.

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Postby Amanda » Tue December 23rd, 2008, 5:04 am

I am a lucky girl! Today is like early christmas! The parcel delivery guy and the postman both arrived at the same time! I have 3 ARCs!

Etta - by Gerald Koplan (about the love of the Sundance Kid)
Silent on the Moor - Deanna Raybourn (just have to read the previous 2!)
The Kings Rose - Alisa M. Libby (about Katherine Howard)

And yesterday I found on the bargain shelf, Anatomy of Deception by Lawrence Goldstone (who is incidently the husband of Nancy Goldstone, she who wrote The Four Queens, that some of you have recommended).

Return to “Archives”