Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Book shopping today ...

Retired Threads
nona
Bibliophile

Postby nona » Tue December 2nd, 2008, 3:14 pm

I got We Speak No Treason(Rosemary Jarman) and Secret Life of Josephine(Caarrolly Erickson) in the mail yesterday, it took two sellers and almost three months but I finally got SLofJ I can't wait to steal a day or so and indulge myself.

nona
Bibliophile

Postby nona » Wed December 3rd, 2008, 1:58 pm

received We Speak No Treason II by Rosemary Jarman and Great Harry by Carolly Erickson, it doesn't seem like a HF and it has Potraits of all the important people in his life like Ann B, Katherine, Wosley, Anne of Cleves and his mother and so forth. looks interesting at least.

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Postby boswellbaxter » Wed December 3rd, 2008, 2:04 pm

received We Speak No Treason II by Rosemary Jarman and Great Harry by Carolly Erickson, it doesn't seem like a HF and it has Potraits of all the important people in his life like Ann B, Katherine, Wosley, Anne of Cleves and his mother and so forth. looks interesting at least.

I think Great Harry is a biography. I don't think Erickson took up writing HF until relatively recently.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: A Rising Man by Abir Mukherjee & The Blue by Nancy Bilyeau (Pigeonhole)
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favorite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Postby Vanessa » Wed December 3rd, 2008, 2:49 pm

The King's Daughter by Sandra Worth
The Wild Hunt by Elizabeth Chadwick
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

TLee
Reader

Postby TLee » Wed December 3rd, 2008, 9:34 pm

The King's Daughter by Sandra Worth
The Greatest Knight by Elizabeth Chadwick
The Scarlett Lion by Elizabeth Chadwick
Lords of the White Castle by Elizabeth Chadwick
The Conquest by Elizabeth Chadwick
A Place Beyond Courage by Elizabeth Chadwick

I went a bit crazy on bookdepository.com. Now I just need the time to sit and read them all - but oh what treasures to look forward to!

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Postby Susan » Thu December 4th, 2008, 1:36 am

I was ordering a Christmas present for my daughter from Amazon, so of course I had to buy something for me.

Murder of a Medici Princess" by Caroline P. Murphy
(Our Telynor's excellent review was the first review listed!)

"Girl with a Pearl Earring" by Tracy Chevalier
(I don't know why I haven't yet read this.)

"Four Queens: The Provencal Sisters Who Ruled Europe" by Nancy Goldstone
(I got this in hardcover for $6.99.)
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

nona
Bibliophile

Postby nona » Thu December 4th, 2008, 4:11 am

I got The Thistle and the Rose today by Jean Plaidy, really short but sounds good.

Telynor
Bibliophile

Postby Telynor » Thu December 4th, 2008, 6:47 am

I spend far too much money on books... Today's goodies:

The Art of Illumination: The Limbourg Brothers and the "Belles Heures" of Jean de France, Duc de Berry ? I had ordered this one some time ago, and it finally arrived yesterday. Not cheap, but filled with gorgeous images, and a lot of data on how illuminated manuscripts were created.
The Wild Hunt by Elizabeth Chadwick
Henry: Virtuous Prince by David Starkey
The Decadent Duke - Virginia Henley (I had to have some fluff in here)
Why We Suck: A Feel Good Guide to Staying Fat, Loud, Lazy and Stupid - Dr. Denis Leary
The Defining Moment: FDR's Hundred Days and the Triumph of Hope - Jonathan Alter
Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln - Doris Kearns Goodwin
Mortal Danger (Ann Rule's Crime Files) - Ann Rule
The White Tiger: A Novel (Man Booker Prize) - Aravind Adiga
Celia Garth - Gwen Bristow
Afternoon Tea Parties - Susannah Blake

(I know I know, they say that the route to curing a problem is to recognize that you have one, but honestly, is book shopping truly a vice?)

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Postby Amanda » Thu December 4th, 2008, 8:00 am

"Telynor" wrote:......... is book shopping truly a vice?)

Short answer - absolutely not!!!!

But then again......we really are the wrong group of people to ask!

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Postby Ash » Thu December 4th, 2008, 1:50 pm

I'm in trouble. Borders is having a special Teacher's Appreciation Day today only! 25% everything - I think I will go and be appreciated....

Return to “Archives”