Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Book shopping today ...

Retired Threads
Spitfire
Reader

Postby Spitfire » Wed November 19th, 2008, 2:23 am

I had such a hectic day at work today and when I went to the post office, my books came in that I ordered! :D Totally made my day! Yay! I got, Gortner's The Secret Lion, Gaskell's North and South and Cranford. I have placed them lovingly by my bed. There is nothing better than new, never cracked-open books!
Only the pure of heart can make good soup. - Beethoven

Erika Mailman
Scribbler

Postby Erika Mailman » Wed November 19th, 2008, 5:08 am

Had no idea Kate Morton had a second one out! I will most definitely track it down.

Had an interesting experience with listening to Wicked on CD... I had to go to the bookstore, pull the book, and look at all the words I had to guess the spelling for. For some reason, I had envisioned Elphaba as more like Elfiba. And the word Grimmerie...I had been wondering if that was the way Grimoire was actually pronounced! That was again, fabulous, on CD, as the House at Riverton was. I want to see the musical but am hesitant to spoil the mental images I have.
The Witch's Trinity
Visit my website at www.erikamailman.com
I blog about witchcraft at www.erikamailman.blogspot.com

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Postby Amanda » Wed November 19th, 2008, 6:08 am

I got the following today:

The Alchemist's Daughter by Katherine McMahon
The Meaning of Night by Michael Cox
Katherine Swynford by Alison Weir

Felt a bit bad about buying yet more books...but they were only $8 each! :o

ETA: For those unfamiliar with buying books in Australia...BARGAIN! Katherine Swynford was down from $60, Alchemist's Daughter down from $30 and The Meaning of the Night down from $33. And they are all new too.

And thus I believe I have justified my spending!
Last edited by Amanda on Wed November 19th, 2008, 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Postby diamondlil » Wed November 19th, 2008, 8:24 am

Sounds perfectly justified to me.

Of course, I have to ask where you managed to get them for that price from?
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Postby Amanda » Wed November 19th, 2008, 10:21 am

"diamondlil" wrote:Sounds perfectly justified to me.

Of course, I have to ask where you managed to get them for that price from?

QBD - They seem to have had some good things lately.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Postby diamondlil » Wed November 19th, 2008, 7:51 pm

Is that a book club?

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Wed November 19th, 2008, 7:52 pm

"diamondlil" wrote:Is that a book club?

I believe she means this http://www.qbd.com.au/

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

Leyland
Bibliophile

Postby Leyland » Wed November 19th, 2008, 9:28 pm

I found Gioconda Belli's The Scroll of Seduction today at a deep discount store for $5.99. It's a contemporary setting with the story of Queen Juana of Castile and her Philippe the Handsome embedded in the telling.

It will go into TBR outer space for now. I haven't read CW's Last Queen yet, but am very close to it. CW has priority! :)
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Postby Amanda » Wed November 19th, 2008, 10:50 pm

"SonjaMarie" wrote:I believe she means this http://www.qbd.com.au/

SM

Yes.....thats the one. Sorry :o , I should have clarified that.

If there is a store nearby, they are always worth a walk through, as the sales tables can have some great stuff that is not on their www site. They have sales stock, which is generally stuff in hardback or trade paperback, and they also have new release stuff which is at pretty much the same price as elsewhere.

The childrens books are good too. Luke is into The Little Princess on TV at the moment and they had some books for $3 instead of $13. Luke actually likes looking in QBD, but he doesn't like Borders! I guess he likes QBD because he can look at his kids books while I look at my books, whereas in Borders the store is just too big for that.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Postby diamondlil » Thu November 20th, 2008, 9:43 am

I went and picked more books up from the library tonight. I have a little bit of a problem in that I am borrowing more than I am returning but hopefully that will settle down a bit shortly. Today I got:

Under a Blood Red Sky by Kate Furnivall
The Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent
Twenty Wishes by Debbie Macomber
The New Year's Quilt by Jennifer Chiaverini
A Wallflower Christmas by Lisa Kleypas
Freedom's Land by Anna Jacobs

Edith Wharton

Return to “Archives”