Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Book shopping today ...

Retired Threads
annis
Bibliomaniac

Postby annis » Mon November 10th, 2008, 11:33 pm

Love those stories about Eve and Roarke :) How does Nora Roberts turn out so many books?!

I've just sent off for a copy of Australian founder of Permaculture Bill Mollison's autobiography "Travels in Dreams" for my husband's birthday. My husband is a keen permaculturalist and did a course with Bill M many years ago. BM's a remarkable man, even if he does tell you to take what he says about himself with a grain of salt!

For those not familiar with Permaculture, it's a "whole earth" concept of sustainability which can be applied in many different ways- quite revolutionary.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permaculture

JMJacobsen
Reader

Postby JMJacobsen » Tue November 11th, 2008, 1:07 am

I recently got my grubby paws on Guernica, by Dave Boling and I'm thrilled! Also gave into an Amazon impulse (can't waste that Prime shipping thing I paid so much for) and ordered:

The Uncommon Reader, by Alan Bennett
Pythagorean Crimes, by Tefcros Michaelides
The Mysterious Benedict Society (YA) by Trenton Lee Stewart and Carson Ellis

I also managed to finish off my Mary Renault collection via BookMooch (yay!).

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Postby diamondlil » Tue November 11th, 2008, 7:54 am

I want to read Guernica at some stage!
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Erika Mailman
Scribbler

Postby Erika Mailman » Tue November 11th, 2008, 8:26 am

I had the uncanny pleasure of having The House at Riverton--on DVD--finish JUST AS I TURNED ONTO MY STREET from a two-hour drive!

This is a completely satisfying book and I highly recommend it, especially in the audio version!
The Witch's Trinity
Visit my website at www.erikamailman.com
I blog about witchcraft at www.erikamailman.blogspot.com

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Postby diamondlil » Tue November 11th, 2008, 9:00 am

That's going to be my next read.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: Monsoon Summer by Julia Gregson & Last Time I Lied by Riley Sager(Pigeonhole)
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favorite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Postby Vanessa » Tue November 11th, 2008, 9:38 am

I loved this book and I have Kate Morton's second book, The Forgotten Garden, on my TBR pile. Some say her second book is better than the first! If so, I'm in for treat. :)
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Postby Amanda » Tue November 11th, 2008, 11:17 am

I'd like to read Guernica too. And Sarah's Key.

Today I bought Journal by Helene Berr and Destined to Live by Sabina Wolanski, both Holocaust memoirs. Hmm....don't think I will be reading those two one after the other!

JMJacobsen
Reader

Postby JMJacobsen » Tue November 11th, 2008, 3:46 pm

"Erika Mailman" wrote:I had the uncanny pleasure of having The House at Riverton--on DVD--finish JUST AS I TURNED ONTO MY STREET from a two-hour drive!

This is a completely satisfying book and I highly recommend it, especially in the audio version!

I have the print version and am very much looking forward to it!

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Postby Divia » Tue November 11th, 2008, 4:45 pm

I was on amazon yesterday and I was gonna buy two books and save no shipping..but I didnt have that option. Did they get rid of it?
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Tue November 11th, 2008, 4:50 pm

"Divia" wrote:I was on amazon yesterday and I was gonna buy two books and save no shipping..but I didnt have that option. Did they get rid of it?

No it's still there. Are these self published and/or POD? Or coming from an independent seller?

Return to “Archives”