Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Book shopping today ...

Retired Threads
diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Postby diamondlil » Tue October 28th, 2008, 9:56 am

"EC2" wrote:Actually my post should read 'Went library trawling today.'
Came back with:

Mistress of the Art of Death - Arianna Franklin. 12thC murder mystery

The Nautical Chart - Arturo Perez-Revert - 'Lost treasure, love and betrayal on the High seas. Modern I think but with historical detail as it's about a Jesuit shipwreck.

State of the Union by Douglas Kennedy - starts in America in the 1960's and goes up to post 9/11 to judge from the blurb.

The Coffee Trader by David Liss - Amsterdam 1659

Gatty's Tale - Kevin Crossley Holland. YA. Pilgrimage to Jerusalem in 1203

Daughters of Fire. - Barbara Erskine. Roman/modern Timeslip caper

Contemporary stuff for the dh = PD James The Lighthouse and Crusader's Cross by James Lee Burke.

Good haul!

I have heard good things about The Lace Reader. I have it here to read shortly.

I went to the library tonight and picked up:

The Vizard Mask by Diana Norman
The Cavalier Case by Antonia Fraser - I didn't know she wrote fiction until just a few days ago so I am giving this one a go.
Everything and the Moon by Julia Quinn
It by Stephen King - I have been challenged to read it. I have never read any Stephen King before.
Knitting by Anne Bartlett - on Pat's rec
His Wicked Kiss by Gaelen Foley
The Lieutenant by Kate Grenville - her newest HF novel.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Alaric
Avid Reader

Postby Alaric » Tue October 28th, 2008, 10:47 am

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who has never read Stephen King before!

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Tue October 28th, 2008, 1:39 pm

"Alaric" wrote:I'm so glad I'm not the only one who has never read Stephen King before!

I used to read him about 25+ years ago. Tried to read The Stand a couple of years ago (I'd read it before and loved it). Gave up around page 10.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Tue October 28th, 2008, 5:10 pm

The only King I've read was "The Body" (the short story "Stand By Me" was based on) and that was only because it was for a high school class assignment.

After reading "IT" Marg, you probably will never look at clowns quite the same way again, if I remember the ads for the movie correctly!

Personally I think clowns are creepy anyway!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Postby Amanda » Tue October 28th, 2008, 9:02 pm

"diamondlil" wrote:Good haul!

The Lieutenant by Kate Grenville - her newest HF novel.

I'm looking forward to this one!

JMJacobsen
Reader

Postby JMJacobsen » Wed October 29th, 2008, 1:18 am

Wow - "It" is pretty industrious for a first-time King read...I'm impressed. His early, early stuff was my favorite. I remember "Carrie," "Christine," and "Pet Cemetary" scaring the bejesus out of me when I was a teenager. :)

red805
Reader

Postby red805 » Wed October 29th, 2008, 2:10 am

I had a gift certificate for Borders, so I picked up Katherine by Anya Seton & a non-fiction book on tape - A World Lit Only By Fire, by William Manchester & read by Barrett Whitener. I read Katherine awhile back, but my dog ate the cover & the ends of some pages so I tossed it. I've been wanting to reread it. The book on tape is for my daily 1+ hour commute, so as soon as I finish listening to For Whom the Bell Tolls, I'll have another lined up & ready to roll. :)

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Postby diamondlil » Wed October 29th, 2008, 7:46 am

"JMJacobsen" wrote:Wow - "It" is pretty industrious for a first-time King read...I'm impressed. His early, early stuff was my favorite. I remember "Carrie," "Christine," and "Pet Cemetary" scaring the bejesus out of me when I was a teenager. :)

I haven't read it yet. We'll have to wait to see how it goes.

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Postby EC2 » Wed October 29th, 2008, 9:30 am

"JMJacobsen" wrote:Wow - "It" is pretty industrious for a first-time King read...I'm impressed. His early, early stuff was my favorite. I remember "Carrie," "Christine," and "Pet Cemetary" scaring the bejesus out of me when I was a teenager. :)

I think Stephen King is a classic in the making and is one of the most important writers of the 20thC. I think he's sometimes been overlooked by the literati because he writes horror, but he is a superb writes IMO and one worthy of literary recognition as well as just acknowledgement for his abilities in the genre. He did go off the boil for a time due to drugs etc, but then got himself clean and out of it.
My friend when she used to teach English to the 16-18 brigade at school, had Carrie on the syllabus. I loved all of those early novels - apart from The Stand which was too long and some of the descriptions of body fluids weren't for me. My favourite has to be The Shining. It take a lot to make me almost too scared to turn the pages!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Postby diamondlil » Wed October 29th, 2008, 10:48 am

I am not sure I want to be scared, but I am pushing my boundaries by agreeing to read this, so might as well pick a scary one!

Edith Wharton

Return to “Archives”