Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Book shopping today ...

Retired Threads
nona
Bibliophile

Postby nona » Tue December 8th, 2009, 10:47 pm

ordered the Sunne in Splendour from PBS, rarely do I come across good HF there but it's been on my wish list for three months or so.

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

...in which I learn that it's never a good idea to...

Postby Kasthu » Tue December 8th, 2009, 11:26 pm

....Randomly click on things when ordering books online!

On November 21st, I ordered a copy of EC's The Love Knot through Book Depository... haven't received it yet, so just now I went to the site to see if I could track it.... went back to the confirmation e-mail... and discovered that I'd somehow selected my old mailing address (the address at which I haven't lived in two years, but have as my billing address) as the place to mail the book too! By now obviously the book has shipped, but I sent them an e-mail anyway. Anyways, lesson learned, I guess!

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Silent Companions by Laura Purcell & And So It Begins by Rachel Abbott (Pigeonhole)
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favorite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Postby Vanessa » Wed December 9th, 2009, 8:14 am

Hope you get the book eventually, Kasthu. And hopefully the people in your old home will either redirect the book to you (if they have your new address) or return it to the BD.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Postby Kasthu » Wed December 9th, 2009, 10:34 pm

"Vanessa" wrote:Hope you get the book eventually, Kasthu. And hopefully the people in your old home will either redirect the book to you (if they have your new address) or return it to the BD.

Here's to hoping. My old roommate was a psychotic freak, so I don't hold much hope that it'll be sent on. Well, it's not the end of the world...

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Fri December 11th, 2009, 3:10 am

I finally picked 5 books to buy with my Goodie Swap Gift Cert:
"Mazarine Legacy" by Toivo David Rosvall
"Herculaneum: Italy's Buried Treasure" by Joseph Jay Deiss
"Little Red Riding Hood Uncloaked: Sex, Morality, and the Evolution of a Fairy Tale" by Catherine Orenstein
"The Maul and the Pear Tree: The Ratcliffe Highway Murders, 1811" by P.D James
"After the Funeral: The Posthumous Adventures of Famous Corpses" by Edwin Murphy

Thanks to whom ever is my Goodie Swap person!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Silent Companions by Laura Purcell & The Travelling Bag by Susan Hill
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Fri December 11th, 2009, 8:28 pm

Went on a bit of a spree today and got:

The Running Vixen by Elizabeth Chadwick
Lethal Legacy by Linda Fairstein
The Founding by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles

and ordered 3 Murdoch mysteries online, looks like these are being re-issued next year (according to Amazon), don't like the new covers at all!
Currently reading "The Silent Companions" by Laura Purcell & The Travelling Bag by Susan Hill

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Silent Companions by Laura Purcell & And So It Begins by Rachel Abbott (Pigeonhole)
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favorite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Postby Vanessa » Mon December 14th, 2009, 10:36 am

I was at a reading group weekend away in Ilkley last weekend and this is what I came home with:

Bought in Ilkley:
The Blackpool Highflyer by Andrew Martin
Such a Long Journey by Rohinton Mistry
Ancestor Stones by Aminatta Forna
Helpless by Barbara Gowdy
The Kissing Gates by Mackenzie Ford
Keeping Up with Magda by Isla Dewar
Bridge of Sighs by Richard Russo
Tully by Paullina Simons
The Sisterhood by Emily Barr

Swapped in Ilkley:
The Distance Between Us by Maggie O'Farrell
The Book of Night Women by Marlon James
The Bradshaw Variations by Rachel Cusk
Keeping Secrets by Andrew Rosenheim
Secrets and Lies by Jaishree Misra
The Rotters Club by Jonathan Coe
Once Upon a Time in England by Helen Walsh
Master Georgie by Beryl Bainbridge
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Wed December 16th, 2009, 4:46 am

Even though I need another book like I need a hole in the head, I've ordered:
"Gazetteer Of British, Scottish & Irish Ghosts" by Peter Underwood

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Postby EC2 » Wed December 16th, 2009, 10:20 am

I was out Christmas shopping yesterday and passed a liquidation store in the shopping mall. Part of the stock was books. I picked up The Mathematics of Love by Emma Darwin and Wolf Brother by Michelle Paver both in hardcover for £1.00 each.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Postby Chatterbox » Thu December 17th, 2009, 2:29 am

Is Wolf Brother one of Paver's YA/juvenile titles, or an adult book I haven't read? (I really enjoyed her other books...)

Didn't find any new & exciting HF to read (I'm going to have to start a blog so I find more of this stuff faster!) but did splurge on three NF books. Susan Hill's "Howard's End is on the Landing" arrived today; I picked up a book about Bach's cello suites (one writer's quest into the inner meaning of some of my fave music) and downloaded onto my Kindle the new slim book by PD James about detective fiction. Yummy.

And tomorrow is Vine day at Amazon...

Return to “Archives”