Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Book shopping today ...

Retired Threads
annis
Bibliomaniac

Postby annis » Sat November 28th, 2009, 2:55 am

Posted by Chatterbox
Scored a copy of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo from Amazon for $6. It's going to my mother for Xmas...

I gave a copy of this to my oldest son a while back, so he is getting "The Girl Who Played With Fire" for his birthday next week and "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest" for Xmas. Great series- we have similar tastes in fiction, so wanted to share the pleasure--

Just bought for myself a couple of Margaret Irwin's from an online auction, both about James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose- "The Proud Servant" and "The Bride". Has anyone read these? I hadn't heard of his friendship with Louise Hollandine, sister of Prince Rupert of the Rhine, so not sure if it's based on fact or not.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Postby EC2 » Sat November 28th, 2009, 10:05 am

Thanks Nona :-)

I recently bought Medieval Dress and Fashion by Margaret Scott (non fiction).

Christmas books bought for rellies (only 1 historical)

Unseen Academicals - Terry Pratchett (son)
Ruso and the Demented Doctor - Ruth Downie (husband)
Murder at the Laurels - Lesley Cookman (mum)
Adventures of a 21st Century Dowser - John Baker (dad)
Dead Tomorrow - Peter James (son's g/friend)
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

nona
Bibliophile

just for laughs

Postby nona » Sat November 28th, 2009, 2:20 pm

hehe, a few days ago I recieved The Wild Hunt and The Running Vixen from book depository and my husband just chuckled. Later he saw them on the shelf and did a double take, he laughed and asked me why I had two copies of the same book (the Wild Hunt) then I had to explain that one was a 1st edition (I can't get rid of it!!) and the recent was re-release because I was buying all three and wanted them to match. He laughed and said good thing I love you.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Sat November 28th, 2009, 3:16 pm

"nona" wrote:hehe, a few days ago I recieved The Wild Hunt and The Running Vixen from book depository and my husband just chuckled. Later he saw them on the shelf and did a double take, he laughed and asked me why I had two copies of the same book (the Wild Hunt) then I had to explain that one was a 1st edition (I can't get rid of it!!) and the recent was re-release because I was buying all three and wanted them to match. He laughed and said good thing I love you.

Get read of the first edition? Is he freaking crazy? Last time I looked it was selling for a pretty penny.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

nona
Bibliophile

Postby nona » Sat November 28th, 2009, 3:31 pm

lol, he is not into books but cars so I explained in car lingo so now I find him looking at them like their some rare '67 Chevelle or something.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Sat November 28th, 2009, 7:00 pm

"nona" wrote:lol, he is not into books but cars so I explained in car lingo so now I find him looking at them like their some rare '67 Chevelle or something.

Heh, don't tell him what Kathryn in the Court of Six Queens is going for ;)

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Postby boswellbaxter » Sat November 28th, 2009, 7:29 pm

I've had to be sparing in my book shopping lately (car needed major surgery), but I did find a copy of Nicholas Orme's From Childhood to Chivalry: The Education of English Kings and Aristocracy 1066-1530 on Amazon a week or so ago. The price was so low (under $10) I had to bite. It arrived in almost perfect condition except for two highlighted spots of text.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Wildflowers by Harriet Evans & The Loving Cup by Winston Graham
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Sat November 28th, 2009, 8:53 pm

After a quiet non book-buying period I bought 4 today:

Dead Tomorrow by Peter James
and 3 Bernard Knight Crowner John mysteries:
Fear in the Forest
figure of Hate
The Awful Secret
Currently reading "The Wildflowers" by Harriet Evans & "The Loving Cup" by Winston Graham

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Postby diamondlil » Sat November 28th, 2009, 9:29 pm

I received a copy of The Secret of the Glass by Donna Russo Morin this week.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Sat November 28th, 2009, 9:53 pm

"diamondlil" wrote:I received a copy of The Secret of the Glass by Donna Russo Morin this week.

I'll be curious to see what you think of that. I read her first book (The Courtier's Secret). The purple prose and a few other things landed it on The List.

Return to “Archives”