Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Book shopping today ...

Retired Threads
nona
Bibliophile

Postby nona » Sat October 11th, 2008, 5:35 pm

I didn't buy it but I checked out Nefertiti from the library, and requested Heretic queen. Thought Egypt would be a nice change.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Postby diamondlil » Mon October 13th, 2008, 6:36 am

I received an Uncorrected Proof of Veil of Lies by Jeri Westerson today. I am very much looking forward to reading it!
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

nona
Bibliophile

Postby nona » Tue October 14th, 2008, 1:22 pm

I have 11 books on my night table that I should read such as A Rose for the Crown, First Princess of Wales...... but I could not help myself and bought The Secret Life of Josephine by Carrolly Erickson and The Horse Goddess by Morgan Llyeweln. It was under $10 so I think I did ok.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Music Shop by Rachel Joyce & The Poison Bed by E C Fremantle (Pigeonhole)
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favorite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Postby Vanessa » Wed October 15th, 2008, 12:09 pm

I've just received today via Amazon the paperback just out of A Place Beyond Courage by Elizabeth Chadwick.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Carine
Compulsive Reader
Currently reading: Jonkvrouw - Jean-Claude Van Ryckeghem
Interest in HF: I love history
Favorite HF book: Can't pin that down to only 1 :-)
Preferred HF: Medieval, Tudor and Ancient Egyptian

Postby Carine » Wed October 15th, 2008, 5:33 pm

"Vanessa" wrote:I've just received today via Amazon the paperback just out of A Place Beyond Courage by Elizabeth Chadwick.

I ordered it from Bookdepository, it'll probable be here tomorrow.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favorite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Postby MLE (Emily Cotton) » Wed October 15th, 2008, 8:03 pm

Rooting around our library used-book store, I scored a copy of Calico Palace by Gwen Bristow for $1. Still has the dust jacket!

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Wed October 15th, 2008, 8:12 pm

"MLE" wrote:Rooting around our library used-book store, I scored a copy of Calico Palace by Gwen Bristow for $1. Still has the dust jacket!

Good job, I've seen some high prices for that one. That's my favorite of Bristow's novels.

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Postby cw gortner » Wed October 15th, 2008, 8:20 pm

"Misfit" wrote:Sigh.... I just couldn't help myself. The library had it but with over 100 holds I thought the wait would be too long.

Pieces of My Heart: A Life - Robert J. Wagner (a memoir)

He was signing copies of the book at the West Hollywood Book Fair and literally sat two steps away from me at the same book-shop booth. Though he looks weathered, he's otherwise as handsome as ever.
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
[B]THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN
[/B]

www.cwgortner.com

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Postby cw gortner » Wed October 15th, 2008, 8:23 pm

"diamondlil" wrote:I received an Uncorrected Proof of Veil of Lies by Jeri Westerson today. I am very much looking forward to reading it!

Oh, let me know what you think! I have an ARC too, but I'm swamped by research requirements right now. Jeri recently did a guest post on my blog that's quite witty and fun.
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!

THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
[B]THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN
[/B]

www.cwgortner.com

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Wed October 15th, 2008, 8:25 pm

"cw gortner" wrote:He was signing copies of the book at the West Hollywood Book Fair and literally sat two steps away from me at the same book-shop booth. Though he looks weathered, he's otherwise as handsome as ever.

Did you meet him? How lucky of you to at least be that close!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

Return to “Archives”