Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Book shopping today ...

Retired Threads
Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Miller's Dance by Winston Graham & How to Stop Time by Matt Haig
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Mon October 26th, 2009, 5:19 pm

"Nefret" wrote:Could we count that as an excuse to buy more books? ;)

Books as therapy? Absolutely! :D
Currently reading "How to stop time" by Matt Haig & "The Miller's Dance" by Winston Graham

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Miller's Dance by Winston Graham & How to Stop Time by Matt Haig

Postby Madeleine » Mon October 26th, 2009, 5:30 pm

"Vanessa" wrote:The Girl in the Red Tunic by Alys Clare
The Loveday Conspiracy by Kate Tremayne (10th in the Loveday series which is a little similar to Poldark)

Those Loveday books sound good Vanessa, I haven't heard of them before although I think I recognise the author's name from somewhere!
Currently reading "How to stop time" by Matt Haig & "The Miller's Dance" by Winston Graham

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favorite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Postby Nefret » Mon October 26th, 2009, 5:47 pm

"Madeleine" wrote:Books as therapy? Absolutely! :D

Cool. That is an excuse I used very often. :)

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Mon October 26th, 2009, 5:52 pm

I thought about buying some new books after the debacle with my check card (see worst thing thread), but decided to wait til I actually have a new card (we'll see how long that lasts!). I should have enough books to keep me occupied til then (but we'll see!).

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Two Houses by Fran Cooper
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favorite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Postby Vanessa » Mon October 26th, 2009, 6:20 pm

"Madeleine" wrote:Those Loveday books sound good Vanessa, I haven't heard of them before although I think I recognise the author's name from somewhere!

Here's some info, Madeleine. She writes historical fiction under the name of Pauline Bentley, too.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

annis
Bibliomaniac

Postby annis » Mon October 26th, 2009, 7:16 pm

Posted by Vanessa
Here's some info, Madeleine. She writes historical fiction under the name of Pauline Bentley, too.

They do sound good. I've read a couple of her Pauline Bentley books- lively stuff, a bit in the Forever Amber tradition - about an English family of travelling players. The first one, Rogues & Players, is set in the Elizabethan period, the second, Fallen Angels during the Civil War .

emr
Compulsive Reader

Postby emr » Mon October 26th, 2009, 10:06 pm

Couldnt help myself this weekend ;)
I ordered:
The Janisary Tree by Jason Goodwin
Falconer's Crusade by Ian Morson
Murder in the Holy City by Simon Beaufort
The Salisbury Manuscript by Philip Gooden
The Tainted Relic by The Medieval Murderers
Enemies of the Empire and The Ghosts of Glevum by Rosemary Rowe
And 3 little books I know nothing about except they were cheap and the seller described them as erotic adventures: :cool:
Coming of Age, Queen and Country and The Honourable Member by Christopher T. Mountjoy (one of the trillion pseudonyms of Keith Miles)
:D
"So many books, so little time."
— Frank Zappa

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Postby Madeleine » Tue October 27th, 2009, 9:37 am

Thanks for that info, Vanessa and Annis, looks like another tbr pile is on the way!

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Tue October 27th, 2009, 8:56 pm

Just arrived from the used seller, Child of the Sea by Elizabeth Goudge. It's about Lucy Walter the first *wife* of Charles II. Thanks to chatterbox for that Amazon Listmania on old out of print HF's.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Wed October 28th, 2009, 4:09 am

Ok, so there goes my plan not to buy anything til I got my new card, but I've been watching for this book to come up cheaper for a few months and it finally did!
"Royal Bastards: Illegitimate Children of the British Royal Family" by Roger Powell

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

Return to “Archives”