Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Book shopping today ...

Retired Threads
Veronica
Avid Reader

Postby Veronica » Tue September 29th, 2009, 3:50 am

"Nefret" wrote:Purchased myself a paperback copy of Nefertiti by Michelle Moran as an early b-day present.

Ah yes... they excuses we come up with in order to buy a book... :o
[SIZE="3"]"Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted"[/SIZE]

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favorite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Postby Nefret » Tue September 29th, 2009, 3:52 am

"Veronica" wrote:Ah yes... they excuses we come up with in order to buy a book... :o

Will try to go find myself The Heretic Queen as well.

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Postby boswellbaxter » Tue September 29th, 2009, 4:24 am

"Veronica" wrote:Ah yes... they excuses we come up with in order to buy a book... :o

That calls for a thread!
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Veronica
Avid Reader

Postby Veronica » Tue September 29th, 2009, 6:09 am

Ops, that Y shouldn't be there.

lol, good idea for a thread Boswellbaxter! :)
[SIZE="3"]"Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted"[/SIZE]

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Year That Changed Everything by Cathy Kelly
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favorite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Postby Vanessa » Tue September 29th, 2009, 11:23 am

Oooh, I'm all giddy! I've just received my trade paperback copy of An Echo in the Bone by Diana Gabaldon (as per the instructions on DG's website)! Don't know when I shall get around to reading it, though, but it's great to flick through it! :D It's ginormous!!
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Body in the Ice by A J Mackenzie & A Death in the Dales by Julia Chapman
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Tue September 29th, 2009, 6:57 pm

Blood at the Bookies, by Simon Brett.
Currently reading "The Body in the Ice" by A J Mackenzie & "A Death in the Dales" by Julia Chapman

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Postby Amanda » Tue September 29th, 2009, 11:31 pm

Yesterday I picked up my copy of An Echo in the Bone by Diana Gabaldon, and got home to find that Elizabeth's Women by Tracy Boreman had arrived.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Postby Ash » Wed September 30th, 2009, 12:48 am

Ah, the joys of teaching: bought Owl Killers by Karen Maitland, at the Borders teacher's sale, 30% off

Leyland
Bibliophile

Postby Leyland » Wed September 30th, 2009, 2:24 pm

Received Elizabeth Chadwick's The Scarlet Lion yesterday from a UK seller.

Waiting for Susan Higganbotham's The Traitor's Wife and Caitlin R Kiernan's The Red Tree.

Just ordered October birthday presents for my father (Cornwell's The Last Kingdom) and my brother (Hiwassee: A Novel of the Civil War by Charles F Price). Both of them are into history, but don't read much HF. Time to convert them both!
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Postby Chatterbox » Wed September 30th, 2009, 11:13 pm

Madeleine, I do like Simon Brett's mysteries!
After 10 days in the Caribbean sans bookstores, I ran amok today. New books by Kurt Andersen and Margaret Atwood, the new Alexander McCall Smith (Isobel Dalhousie series) on my Kindle, Nocturnes by Kazuo Ishiguro, and coming from Amazon, new books by Paul Strathern (about the Renaissance in Florence & Rome, with a focus on Machiavelli, da Vinci and the Borgias) and Matthew Carr (about the expulsion of the Jews from Spain).
From Amazon Vine, as well as the amazing new Jonathan Lethem novel, I've got the new A.S. Byatt, a book by Neil Sheehan about the Cold War, and one about four young Mexican girls in the US around the issue of immigration.
Coming soon from the UK will be the final Stieg Larsson book, the new Stella Rimington thriller, and I've just ordered David Downing's Stettin Station (the first two in the series were v. good), Phillip Kerr's latest Bernie Gunther mystery (he goes back to the mid 1930s with this one) and the new Cynthia Harrod-Eagles mystery. (I like them better than her historicals; enjoy the element of whimsicality...)
From PaperbackSwap, I have, among other offerings, the first Gulland book about Josephine. I have a free copy of a self-published novel about Wall Street by a banker/source of mine.
So my TBR pile will become a mountain.

Return to “Archives”