Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Book shopping today ...

Retired Threads
Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Body in the Ice by A J Mackenzie & A Death in the Dales by Julia Chapman
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Sun July 26th, 2009, 4:37 pm

"Too Close to Home" by Linwood Barclay.
Currently reading "The Body in the Ice" by A J Mackenzie & "A Death in the Dales" by Julia Chapman

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Postby Divia » Sun July 26th, 2009, 5:05 pm

Well this is what I got. I dont really need the cemetery book, but I wanted the free shipping. :o Besides, I love cemeteries.

Stories in Stone: The Complete Guide to Cemetery Symbolism
Manners & Morals of Victorian America
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Postby Kasthu » Sun July 26th, 2009, 9:26 pm

I just, compulsively, bought In A Dark Wood Wandering, by Hella Haasse. Someone recently told me I must read this, and since I received a generous bonus this year in my mid-year review at work, I went to Ammie and bought this as a gift for myself. Anyone read it?

Laura
Reader

Postby Laura » Mon July 27th, 2009, 10:00 am

Chatterbox, I never ordered from Fnac.fr but I believe that they certainly ship to US. Just make a simulated request in order to check all costs. Good luck.

Laura
Reader

Postby Laura » Mon July 27th, 2009, 1:13 pm

"Chatterbox" wrote:Laura, you can order all these from Amazon.fr -- does Fnac ship to the US?? I confess, I hadn't even thought of them...

I ordered Contessina as well... Benzoni is OK, but she writes more romance than HF. The author I used to love is Jeanne Bourin, who wrote (writes?) a lot set in medieval/early Renaissance France and Italy.

Also just ordered a stack of books about the 15th century for my own HF project. Found a copy of a history of medieval warfare, focusing on the English armies during the 100 years war & the war of the roses, which will be invaluable.

Chatterbox, I just checked at Fnac.fr and they only make shipments for the countries where they have their own bookstores: Belgium, Brazil, Greece, Italy, Portugal, Spain, Switzerland and Taiwan. No USA, sorry....

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Wed July 29th, 2009, 1:11 am

I found a copy of "Versailles: A Biography of a Palace" by Tony Spawforth for $9 ($12.99 with s&h) on Amazon, so I ordered it and the next day I got a notice it was shipped so hopefully this time I'll actually get it, cause last time I thought I was getting it for a great price someone else got there before me.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

Telynor
Bibliophile

Postby Telynor » Wed July 29th, 2009, 4:17 am

"SonjaMarie" wrote:I found a copy of "Versailles: A Biography of a Palace" by Tony Spawforth for $9 ($12.99 with s&h) on Amazon, so I ordered it and the next day I got a notice it was shipped so hopefully this time I'll actually get it, cause last time I thought I was getting it for a great price someone else got there before me.

SM

I'll be interested to see what you think of this one when you finish it. I hope it gets there this time! I enjoyed it very much.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Postby diamondlil » Wed July 29th, 2009, 11:34 am

I picked up Untamed by PC and Kristin Cast and An Expert in Murder by Nicola Upson today. The latter is about Josephine Tey from what I have heard.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

javagirl
Reader

Postby javagirl » Thu July 30th, 2009, 2:47 am

Audible is having a one week sale for members where you can pick up 3 romance books for the price of 2. I've rarely read any "romance" books (unless you count the Outlander series) and I wasn't seeing many among the eligible 100 books that I thought I'd be interested in until I got to the last page and noticed the 3 Deanna Raybourn "Silent ..." books. So after reading here that many people enjoyed these I purchased them.

Anyone else ever listen to them in audio format?

- Lynn

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Sat August 1st, 2009, 1:10 am

I'm trying to decide if I want to use $168 (approx) that I've made from doing surveys and my last round of ebay auctions on some high priced books I've had my eyes on (books that don't go down in price for the most part). My birthday is on the 23rd and mom usually buys me a book I want as well (well I order the book and tell her what it was). Decisions, decisions!

SM
Last edited by SonjaMarie on Sat August 1st, 2009, 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

Return to “Archives”